Old raptors worth using

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSlippy

Solid State Member
I have 2 old 74 gb raptors. I will be installing 2 1tb black drives in raid 0. Are these drives even worth installing. This is an i7 system.

If it was me I would raid0 the raptors for os and games. I would not raid the blacks and keep them for data.

Nope, I don't think it is worth it. It will just be extra heat and airflow impedance in your case. Those old raptors are barely faster than a modern SATA drive anyway.
If you've got a full tower with excellent airflow then sure, shove the drives in, otherwise I really wouldn't bother.

I question the logic of having 1TB drives in RAID 0 though, if you have that much data that you need 1TB of space then the LAST thing you want to be doing is putting that data on a RAID 0 setup. Its only reasonable if you have and additional 1TB drive to backup to.

Ya I would definitely not put 1tb drives in RAID 0. I would probably RAID 1 them since I don't think I would be using more than 1tb of data in the near future. My 1tb black has 552GB free still and there is some stuff on there I'm sure I could delete. I don't know what you do though so you might want more than a TB

yeah, not a huge fan of raid 0 on sensitive material....had a few bad experiences with that myself hahahah

I will have a backup drive on the network from the linksys router so I was more worried about performance and the speed I can transfer files.

The reason i was saying are the raptors even worth as most 7200 RPM drives out perform them now.
I was disappointed that they are not putting 32MB cache on 500GB drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom