4850..crossfire with 4870?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSeven

In Runtime
ive read that it is possible to crossfire a 4850 with a 4870. is this true? what are the pros and cons compared to CF'ing with another 4850...wouldnt the 4870, being faster, mess this up....

i was thinking about doing a mild upgrade to a nvidia 260 core 216 and then i came across a bunch of poeple noticing similar performance with a 4850 x2 and 2 CF'd 4850s (described as better then a 280)...i dug a little deaper and found out that you could pair a 4870 with it but i cant find anything about pros or cons...would be just be a better card to crossfire with or would there be issues somewhere?

CF_combo_chart_July08.jpg

You can but theres no point. The 4870 will be throttled to 4850 speeds.

You'll save your self a lot of headaches if you just grab another 4850.

okay cool. thanks. that's what i thought would happen

would you recommend i just get another sapphire 4850? or is there a way better one out now...i think sapphire has the best cooling when i bought mine.

also, a corsair 650 watt psu should be sufficient, correct?

i have the 1 GB version. im thinking ill get the 1 GB again since ill be getting a 64 Bit OS soon

indeed xfx is a great company. im not sure on their cooling though...

one more thing. i just checked my case to make sure everything will fit and such. from what i can see the top card's fan will pretty much be right on the bottom card. would this screw up the cooling?

if so does anyone know of a good 4850 with not as big a cooler (vertically speaking)...

I don't think you have much of a choice due to your mobo's spacing of the pci-e slots. Those cards run relatively cool anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom