HP a1310n problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk5421

Beta member
Howdy all.

I am trying to fix a desktop for a friend. It's a 3 year old HP a1310n and it was hit with a power surge during a lightning storm. He said it wasn't plugged into a power bar, just a wall outlet. He's an idiot, I know. It turns on, but the CPU fan kicks into high gear right away and there is no video. No beeps, no nothing. I bought a good used power supply off of ebay, tested it in my pc, put it in his and that had no affect. I ordered a good used stock mobo off of E-bay and put it in tonight. Turned the computer on and still nada. The fans kick into high gear, and I have no video. I thought maybe it was the hard drive, so I took out the HD from my desktop and hooked it up to the other PC and no luck. I'm kind of out of ideas now. Could the processor be fried? Memory sticks chooched, maybe? I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any replies.

Vince

I agree with RAM, try that, although I'm not so sure about the video card. I believe the computer would still post without video. Could be wrong though. Since you got a new mobo, my first two guesses would be RAM and CPU, in that order.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Ok, I will look up some specs on the RAM in that one and for my pc to see if I can test it before I go and buy more stuff.

Thanks!

I agree with RAM, try that, although I'm not so sure about the video card. I believe the computer would still post without video. Could be wrong though. Since you got a new mobo, my first two guesses would be RAM and CPU, in that order.

Usually not. Bare essentials of a computer needed to POST are pretty much: RAM, CPU, Video. Would be pointless to still pass POST if there's no video ;).

CPU's can be fairly hard to fry, but it's still not out of the questions...just highly uncommon.

Usually not. Bare essentials of a computer needed to POST are pretty much: RAM, CPU, Video. Would be pointless to still pass POST if there's no video ;).

CPU's can be fairly hard to fry, but it's still not out of the questions...just highly uncommon.

Fair enough, but even if he does get past this problem, wonder how he is going to go about solving the major one. He has an HP! :eek:

At least its not a Dell ;).

HP's are better, IMO. Had 3 (old one that had Win98 on it...one that had XP on it a few years ago...and an older Vectra with Win2k my dad got from work) of 'em in my house...and I have a Compaq laptop. I'd take an HP over the other guys anyday.

I agree. they are better, but used to be really decent. Nowadays, sadly, the only way to get a decent computer is to either build it yourself or purchase from a small company. (i.e. No integrated OS's, forcing you to install tons of useless garbage along with your operating system, no custom built crap, forcing you to send it to and pay them to have something new installed, etc...).

Actually, Dell itself used to be decent. Packard Bell, however, has always sucked. Heheh

HP/Compaq are a lot better than others about letting users upgrade their stuff though. We sell HP's in our store,and have to work on them/compaqs usually. Even older HP's aren't all that bad to replace parts. Dell on the other hand...*shudders*

Agreed on building yourself though. Best way to go.

Yeah, my friend got his girlfriend a new computer case a few years ago and asked me if I would install all the components of her current computer into the new case. I agreed and went to attempt it. That is when I realized how bad Dell has gotten. It was impossible to put the components in the new case. They had the motherboard custom made so it would not mount in a standard case. Needless to say, she ended up selling that piece of crap, thank goodness. Feel sorry for the sucker that bought it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom