Unusable computer with useable software

Status
Not open for further replies.

trishaj13

Beta member
If a computer is being kept (for what reason I have no idea) can I sell the operating system on it? A friend of mine wants to buy it from me... It has Windows XP w SP 2..

I recently bought 2 new Dell and have need for this even running.. Can I do this?:)

Depends on if the XP is OEM or not - if it is, definitely not as it's for the machine it came with, if it's not OEM then I'm not sure (though I believe it's still licensed to you, so selling it might invalidate the license - but like I said, I'm not sure).

It is a purchased version... From best buy... few years ago....

Is it ok for my friend to put on her computer?

You cannot have the serial active on the original computer then, if you have it active on another computer. Otherwise I don't see how there'd be a problem with it.

ok.. Is there a way to check my serial number on office student teacher edition 2003. I want to give to her also.... It says it gives three installations but haven't used it so long, I don't remember. It isn't on any of my computers and it is retail version.

Is there a website for this?

That is more than likely 3 licenses, meaning it can be installed on 3 computers simultaneously, not just three installations and your done. I've never heard of a software product that limits the number of times you can install it. The 3 means how many computers it can be installed on at the same time. So I would say as long as you have 2 or less installations of this software elsewhere, then it should be completely legal to let her install it on her computer.

A windows license can only be installed at one computer at a time. You cannot have it installed on 3 different computers at the same time. You get 3 installations then you get to make the phone call to Bill to get it extended.

A windows license can only be installed at one computer at a time. You cannot have it installed on 3 different computers at the same time. You get 3 installations then you get to make the phone call to Bill to get it extended.

All the licenses I've ever encountered are as follows: If you get a 3 License Pack, it can be installed on three computers at the same time. Installing it on a fourth without first removing it from one of the prior three violates the license agreement. I've never heard of a license on a 'per install' basis. What a ripoff! :mad: I, myself, would never purchase something so unforgiving of routine maintenance. I like to reformat my drives every once in a while and find it absurd that I should have to pay for software again just because I did.

You misunderstand, Mundo. You can reformat till your face is blue. As long as you reinstall the OS on the same machine, you're good. You just have to call to reactivate after 3 activations, which takes 10 minutes (if that) to do.

You misunderstand, Mundo. You can reformat till your face is blue. As long as you reinstall the OS on the same machine, you're good. You just have to call to reactivate after 3 activations, which takes 10 minutes (if that) to do.

Ahhh, okay. I thought he was saying you had to repurchase the license if you installed more than 3 times. Got ya. Thanks for clearing that up.

But that's still not the traditional definition of a Software License. The real definition is how I described above. At least it used to be. It could be that times are changing and leaving me far behind. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom