Unable to boot from optical drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I have discovered that it is hard to install a new OS when your optical drive doesn't show up in BIOS. Both hard drives are there, and it is listed in Windows, but it does not show up in BIOS.

LG GH22LS30 SATA DVD burner
DFI LanParty-UT SLI-D
Vista Ultimate 64-bit for my OS
See my sig for anything else

Not sure which version of BIOS I am on, but I know I updated it when I went to my dual core. Since it is an old board I doubt if there are any newer versions.

1) As you said reset cmos.

2) Could not find a manual dl for your board but take a peek in bios if a reset does not work some of the boards of that age had a sata ide emulation mode. play with that.

3) Try a different sata port on the motherboard. Try a different sata cable if you have one. Although I believe it is working in windows so cabling probably not an issue.

4) get a large hammer and hit it really hard. call you insurance company and file a claim. Use that money for a Phenom II. I know you are a amd guy. i7 ftw.

:D

I haven't reset CMOS yet (requires a lot of effort because my case is under my desk :grind_teeth:) but will be doing it shortly. I have the manual in PDF form and will look through it and see... loads of BIOS options in DFI's BIOS.

I know the port is good as I used to have a hard drive on it. ;)

If the deductable wouldn't kill me I would definitely entertain thoughts about it having an "accident". :p

Didn't find anything in the BIOS. Updated the firmware and reset the CMOS. When I opened up the case I realized I had the optical drive on the secondary SATA ports so I moved it to the primary ports.

I currently have the first, second, and third boot set to CD, but it still bypasses it and boots from the hard drive.

I am stumped.

also might try booting directly from the boot menu as well if you haven't already

Here's the latest BIOS for your Mobo.
http://img.lanparty.tw/Upload/BIOS/CM/NF4LD406.ZIP

See if it's the same one you are currently using.

Date Code 2006-04-06
File NF4LD406.ZIP
Size 398 KB
Description: If users do not have floppy drive in their computer system, Please update BIOS by using Winflash and follow the instruction guide to update BIOS.

The BIOS Upgrade for SST 49LF040B LPC flash ROM Only
Major Reasons of Change:
1 . Add CPU temperature calibration option.
2 . Fix ps2 mouse fail when ps2 kb not present.
3 . Fix s1/s3 temp error after resume.
4 . Fix startup VID option fail.
5 . Fix C 'n'O.5 multiplier not working with Opteron CPU.
6 . Fix day of month alarm can not set as 0 for every day usage.
7 . Fix NF4-D model display error if SATA3/4 is disabled.
8 . Fix ATI X1000 series logo error.
9 . Change FSB option to keyIn method.
10 . Change 3114 ROM to 5.2.1.6
11 . Change NV RAID ROM to 5.50
12 . Change memtest86+ to 1.65
13 . Synchronize DRAM related code with Expert and Venus.
14. Remove Write CAS latency item and replace it by Odd Divisor Select.
15 . Add support for SST 49LF040B LPC flash ROM.

Yeah, I have the 04/06/06 BIOS. Figures. :p

also might try booting directly from the boot menu as well if you haven't already
I have no idea what you mean. I am setting it to boot from CD in the BIOS. I am running a dual boot, so I get that boot menu when I boot. Are you talking about a different boot menu?

I may put my old burner (that won't burn anymore) if we can't figure this out. I just don't get why it won't do this from the SATA burner but it would the DIE one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom