XFX 9800 GT Wont overclock (Again, perhaps its my CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
Yes yes, yet another problem with my new card...It wont overclock!!! Well....yes, it will however I was playing fallout 3 (Everything maxed, shadows off, HDR and AA set to 8x 1680 resolution) and I was getting a solid 42 FPS in front of Megaton, where that little robot is and when I tried overclocking it, it stayed the same. My default clocks are 1800 Memory, 600 GPU, 1500 Shaders, and it will only let me overclock to about 950 memory (950x2 = 1900, because of the GDDR3) and 1800 shaders. (And people that have the same card as me can overclock up to 1000-1100mhz on the memory..I cant, my game will crash :l)

I have tried 3 programs, RivaTuner, nTune and ATI tool, none of which worked (nTune worked on my fan though, I can hear it) So this only leads me to believe that my CPU, once again, is bottle necking my card. I started an older topic for that and its still somewhere on the first page I think.

Another thing, lowering my resolution or anti aliasing does NOT improve my FPS at ALL, it just makes the game look like pewp (HDR has about a 20 FPS influence on it though ^^)

Any ideas? (PS: Would SLI'ing this card be worth it, and do you think it will be able to play games 2 years down the road?)

My three biggest concerns are:

CPU: e2200 Pentiuam Dual CPU @ stock speed (2.2 ghz)
RAM: 3GB of some sort of ram...anyways

It could also be that your video card is at it's peak clock.

But you already know the solution to checking if it's your CPU bottlenecking. I told you in your other thread.

"mileage may vary" that's a saying your probably going to have to come to terms with

some cards just don't clock as good as others, same for CPU's and RAM.

It's a fact of nature,

if your CPU is clocked at 2.2GHz there is no doubt in my mind that it isn't a bottleneck,
with ~$60-$70 cpu upgrade you'd be flying smooth (unless that Pentium isn't a LGA 775)

i wouldn't spend the money for a new card to SLI being as you'll more than likely need to get a new PSU and then will have to upgrade the CPU anyways,

if you are using a LGA 775 mobo grab an E5200 and have fun
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

if not you most likely have a LGA 478 and if so then grab a better Pentium 4

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

it's like $5 more than the E5200, although I must warn you that it is hot so I'd grab a decent cooler if you can
EDIT: my idiot mistake, I didn't read your specs you gave duhh yeh just get an E5200

then save your money and build a whole new comp later on down the line

RAWR its a dell inspiron 518 so I cant change the CPU without changing the mobo and I cant change the mobo because its dell so I have to buy a new case all together...And I cant overclock my CPU because, once again, DELL

hmmm?

you can't fit a mATX in there?

I did a friend's Dell and didn't have an issue with a mATX

I'm pretty sure it was an Inspiron of some sort

but it sounds like you in a pickle my friend

but I'd put my money on the CPU

if you can deal with it a little while longer you could save enough for a decent case and upgrade but then again I'm not too sure what you wanna do

Its no big deal im averaging 40-120 fps on cod4 and 40-80 on fallout 3, I can live with it for now...oblivion however...20-50 FPS :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom