No Audio after Codec install / no conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Hello,

I've run into an interesting problem. I installed Tversity which came with Tversitys little codec pack, and FFDSHOW. After that though, is the last thing I remember doing before I lost ALL sound on my computer, it doesn't even play the startup sounds.

This is on a dual boot of Vista home premium x86, and Vista ultimate x64, neither of these work with sound atm.

I have a B-Ensprier sound card. I plugged a MP3 player into the speakers and they work fine, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the auido driver time and time again. It's not muted, the volumes all the way up. I've checked device manager and there seems to be no conflict... I'm running out of ideas much beyond formating and hoping for the best!

Any ideas are appreciated...

i would try putting the card in a different slot first....if it still doesn't work on both os's...it may have gone bad on you....

Odds are they broke the realtek codec. Just go reinstall the sound card drivers from realtek. Onboard sound right?

Odds are they broke the realtek codec. Just go reinstall the sound card drivers from realtek. Onboard sound right?

I'm using a bgears b-enprier card. which uses the C-oxygen driver off their webpage... I've never had a problem with it before... This time I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver multiple times...

It's strange when I check the mixer it has the audio bars like it's playing something... but nothing leaving the speakers... I was wondering if it changed the default of the output... but it still said speakers.. wasn't on the digital out...

I've checked device manager and theres no disabled/x/or caution signs... it says everything is working the way it should... I've also tried uninstalling ffdshow and the tversity codec pack but to no avail...

Try removing the sound card from Device Manager, then rebooting Windows. Windows should autodetect the card and install the appropriate drivers, if available. If not it will prompt you where to look for them or just do a search for them itself.

Try removing the sound card from Device Manager, then rebooting Windows. Windows should autodetect the card and install the appropriate drivers, if available. If not it will prompt you where to look for them or just do a search for them itself.

Thank you for that, but unfortunately I've given this a shot on several accounts as well

The thing that concerns me is that it's effecting both boots... I would think that on each boot it would be handled differently... not certain though

---- Let me explain to the best of my ability what I did to spark the problem (I think)

I have 3 Partitions:

1. Vista x86
2. Vista x64
3. Storage

While on the x86 partition, I DL'd and installed tVersity which had it's own codec pack, along with ffdshow.
I installed tVersity on the Storage partition while on the x86 boot. I used tVersity to stream video/audio to my PS3 for the night so I don't know if the audio was working on the PC that night. The next morning I turn the computer on and realize no sound.

In that situation, should it globally effect all of my boots? Or just x86 if it's installed from x86 on the storage partition?

With tversity or your sound driver, is there an audio manager? e.g. an app you can open, gives you options for your sound (like speaker setup, eq settings, etc.) There should be a setting for a default driver or codec to use for the system, it's probably using the wrong one. You need to change that manually.

btw, have you tried uninstalling tversity AND any sound drivers you have? If the above doesn't work, uninstall the sound drivers, the codecs, basically everything you installed for your sound. Then just install the sound drivers again. See what that does for you.

but that should have only affected one windows install with the codecs, there is no way it would modify the other install to "corrupt" the drivers, which also makes it sound like a hardware issue.....

if you really want to you can download a distro of linux live like knoppix or xubuntu and see if it's working with alsa.....that would determine if it's hardware.

also i know it's a long shot, but still worth asking.....you did plug the speakers into the green port on the card right? :D

but that should have only affected one windows install with the codecs, there is no way it would modify the other install to "corrupt" the drivers, which also makes it sound like a hardware issue.....

if you really want to you can download a distro of linux live like knoppix or xubuntu and see if it's working with alsa.....that would determine if it's hardware.

also i know it's a long shot, but still worth asking.....you did plug the speakers into the green port on the card right? :D

Haha, yeah... plenty times...

Actually I installed a PCI-E Card, the SupremeFX II and it's working, granted I'm not real impressed with the sound to be honest... I don't know if it's just the driver or a limitation of the card...

In any event... I was wondering if maybe it could be a setting in bios that was choking the card? Or... if the cards just scrapped... just can't get over the fact that everything appears to be working with the "scrapped" card, no errors or anything... even the sound bars are moving lol... just no audio "sigh"

yeah if windows says its working, then it should be if there is no hardware fault...if hardware is at fault it probably wouldnt be able to detect it....and the real key to this is that it is also not working on the "virgin" install of the other windows OS.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom