260 core 216..250 core 216 core edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core edition requires 500W, the Core 216 requires 630W.

The Core Edition requires 2x6 pin connectors for power, the Core 216 requires a 6 pin and a 8 pin.

The cards have different style coolers.

And, of course, the price. It's my guess the Core Edition is the newer revision of the Core 216 due to the lower number of reviews.

It really doesnt matter at all.

Even if one is 55nm and the other is 65nm, its been confirmed and proven that the 55nm runs at the same temps, has pretty much the exact same OC'ing potential and is not even slightly faster at any resolution than the 65nm.

I just bought 2x 65nm 216's and im not worried i made the wrong decision. The 55nm was just to reduce productions costs as they made the heatsink smaller and the fan smaller and of course the die shrink makes things cheaper to. The reason i didnt go for one is that only just now are the 55nm becoming cheaper (the NEW factor is wearing off).

130W difference in power requirements is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

Where did you see that?
Most places actually say its the same and for some odd reason sometimes more.

Even [H] Enthusiast only sees like 10w difference.

[H] Enthusiast - ASUS GTX 260 55nm & 4870 Dark Knight 1GB

backed up by:

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 55nm Superclocked Edition Video Card Review - Page 21 - Hardware Canucks

As we move on to in-game testing, things become foggy since one game shows the 55nm card consuming less while at other times it tops out higher than the 65nm version. You wouldn't believe how many times I redid these benchmarks since I didn't believe what I was seeing but the accuracy of the numbers was well borne out in an email sent to us by EVGA:

The 65nm GTX260 takes 182 watts on average and the 55nm, 171 watts.
55nm will draw less power on average across apps but in some cases, can draw more.

Overall, overclocking was quite good…for an older GTX 260. Many people were hoping that the transition to a 55nm manufacturing process would increase the overclockability of these cards but that does not seem to be the case. Even when bumping the fan speed to 100%, overclocking didn't increase one bit so it isn't cooling which is keeping this card back, rather it seems to be the voltage. As a matter of fact, the core on this card overclocked nearly identically to the BFG GTX 260 we reviewed a while back.

Core edition requires 500W, the Core 216 requires 630W.

The Core Edition requires 2x6 pin connectors for power, the Core 216 requires a 6 pin and a 8 pin.

The cards have different style coolers.

And, of course, the price. It's my guess the Core Edition is the newer revision of the Core 216 due to the lower number of reviews.

where did you hear that? all GTX 260 (and core 216's) only require 2 6 pin pci-e connectors. ;)

and as far as the core edition thing goes i think the core edition is XFX's special board design based on the pics.

If you look, it's minimum psu requirements.

I just got the old one to match my bfg.

The xfx site claims 6 & 8, but i think they just copy pasted from the 280, as no pic shows 8 pin, just 2 6 pin.

I have that exact same core 216 and it has 2x6 pin connectors. How they show what you need for power is very confusing, in the pic is shows 2x6, under power requirements it says 2x6, and under system requirements it says one 6 and one 8.

I'm going by the specs listed on Newegg since I don't personally own both cards and can visually check them. Have a look yourself before you jump on me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom