AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

Ordered the PC Power & Cooling 610 Watt Continuous from newegg Canada last night. Now all I need to do is save up some money and wait for the AM3 925.

The 920 is $240 after shipping handling and everything here in Canada. So the 925 should be about the same, but with a lower TDP.

reached 4GHZ and was able to do a superpi run
CPU-Z Validator 3.0

still haven't got the EK Supreme waterblock on it yet though.
I'll probably grab some MX-2 while I'm at it to replace the Arctic Silver 5 I'm using. Phenom II's love the cold.
I'm also using low speed fans on my Thermochill PA120.3. So I probably have the potential to get temperatures lower there.

I might also try bringing my PC into an air conditioned room for some more overclocking.

You got 4ghz on water? You should be able to push more than that, I almost get 3.9ghz on my 720 with a stock cooler.

I would turn up the fans on that bad boy and try again mate. It looks like you still have a lot of wiggle room to play with some settings.

reached 4GHZ and was able to do a superpi run
CPU-Z Validator 3.0

still haven't got the EK Supreme waterblock on it yet though.
I'll probably grab some MX-2 while I'm at it to replace the Arctic Silver 5 I'm using. Phenom II's love the cold.
I'm also using low speed fans on my Thermochill PA120.3. So I probably have the potential to get temperatures lower there.

I might also try bringing my PC into an air conditioned room for some more overclocking.

holy crap! 4.0GHz on water! Nice! Same mobo and n CPU like me too. You stable at that clock speed?

Question, do u think i can benefit much if i replace my Tuniq? to the Core Contact w/ TX-2 or the Noctua NH-U12P w/o TX-2? Like it says in my rig, 100% load temps for me is 51 C. I cant seem to push over 3.7GHz still.

It was fairly difficult to get it booted at 4GHZ. And it won't work if I use AOD to reach these speeds (it just hangs and reboots).

3.9GHZ almost works 24/7. It can run 3Dmark06 successfully, and even run prime95. Though after a fairly long while of working 100% fine, it can randomly reboot or BSOD.

I'm sure this chip would be capable of more, with enough cooling and good power regulation.
I'm not sure how stable the power regulation is on the K9A2 Platinum when pushing ~1.6V or more through it (max volts on this board is ~1.688V).

Can't speak for that MSI, so that's a fairly good point. My 3.9 was definitely not stable, but any higher voltage would have resulted in a meltdown with my stock cooler. When I grab a Core Contact we'll see, and I'm looking at a water cooling kit sometime in the near future.

I am currently posting from my box with an overclocked x3 720...finally hit 3.9ghz. :D On the stock cooler. Idle temps max at 38c.

CPU-Z Validator 3.0

All the settings are standard except the multi and vcore, which I have set at 1.55v. Mucking with the settings in any way shape or form trying to hit even slightly over 3.9 results in BSODs all over the place.

Any suggestions are welcome, I wouldn't mind even milking a 201 BCLK out of this.

Try 2 seconds.

Since I posted last, I got it up to 3.92ghz but no higher. I throttled the DRAM speed down to 400mhz, upped the HT voltage to 1.4v, and set the vcore overvoltage to +.25v...not sure what else I can do with my current stuff.

So...any suggestions? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom