A question about my Dell PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and if you want to play games you need to actually get a graphics card. Unless you are trying to play ancient games, you're not going to be able to run anything modern. Maybe some semi-modern games, like 3-4 years old, will be able to play on very low slowly. In saying this I'm assuming your mobo is as old as the rest of your parts, and therefore your integrated graphics are terrible.

I think it is time for a whole new build.

Thats my problem, I cant afford a new one. Or to be honest, anything, so im kinda screwed. The computer im using is a minimum of 6 years old and the game I want to play is Halo PC/CE and San Andreas.

Really given the restrictions i would say that RAM upgrade would be your best option. Check out

Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

that will give you the info on what RAM you have installed and what you can get. RAM isnt to bad in price now and it will be your best option to at least be able to play the games you want without having to do a whole new build.

I can play Halo easily on my system which is a Dimension 8400 with 3GB of RAM. the RAM cost me only $40 when i bought my 2GB kit recently. So that will be your best option if you cant afford to go all out with a new build.

With Dell's it is close to impossible to get a new CPU with their mobo's. they have such a restriction on their mobo that to find a compatible CPU would be very tough.

Yeah, halo runs fine for me, cept my graphics are crap. But it still runs fine, san andreas on the other hand does not.

Do you know if you at least have a PCI Express connection open for a bare minimal card to be used? If so you could possibly get a older video card for your system from ebay and not spend a fortune.

I would upgrade ram only at this time.

Then, save you money for a new build. Normally I would say you could start upgrading items such as gpu and psu that could be used in your new build but, with a dell case these upgrades can be problematic.

+1 on the ram upgrade. I used my dad's Dell for a long time... made a big difference when I upgraded from 512mb to 1gb.

Also if you don't mind reinstalling some software, reformatting is the most thorough way to clean up ur pc.

Since it is a Dell PC, there is more than likely all kinds of TSR's (Terminate and Stay Resident programs) that they load into memory as well. Most computer manufacturers tend to overload your computer with useless crap (eg. Online Tech Support, Virus scanners, and anything else under the sun). I'd check to make sure that only the bare minimum is loaded into memory, as you have but a smidgeon to begin with and can't afford to have anything else hogging it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom