how to protect your computer from dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
after i opened up my desktop to add another cd drive in, i noticed that it had some dust on the fans and a few of the cards. i was wondering what are the best ways to clean dust and prevent it from getting in.

maybe stickied? this seems like info all newbie builders should know.

If you can't find filters or don't want to spend more money, just use stockings over your intake fans, it will help a lot. The only final answer is regular cleaning. Every 6 months I take it all apart, use compressed air for getting the dust out of fins, etc.

Oh and by the way, no vacuum cleaners near the PC. :)

You can easily damage and hit something. Also, don't vacuums create some type of static?

I do it the slow way, open up the computer and grab a dry cloth or just use my hands and pick out whatever i can :)

Like FlyingCoyote said, best way to do it is canned air. Or if you have access to an air compressor, that works too (just make sure water doesn't spray out first, as sometimes condensation can occur on an air compressor).

And you can also just use drier sheets for fan filters if you want. Cheap and work well. Just be advised any filter will restrict airflow somewhat, depending on how its made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom