High pitched sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
On the load screens in lotro I'm getting a high-pitched sound coming from my computer. I'm also getting one when in the post game and public game que in dow2 as well as its load screens. Is this anything for concern or am I getting worried over nothing? It has been doing this for awhile. I don't know if it has been the whole time I had it or not. I just picked up on it after I got back from a LAN party with it. It could be that I was mentally looking for something to go wrong with it from the journey, and that is why I picked up on it, or maybe it did start after that. There were potholes in the round.

Anyway, the sound changes

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/7161a6b5f3152858d488c10e40dc27d449cade4e.png

For example, it will get more intense when i scroll my cursor over someone's name in the post game there. Then it will change again slightly when I click their name and the game brings up more options. You can see I have it over the name of the fourth player because the dialogue box game up.

I'm not hearing it all in cod, fc2, or crysis if I am remember correctly.

Is this something to worry about, or am I making a big deal over nothing? It has been going around for over a month unless it has been the entire time, I'm not sure anymore.

That used to happen all the time in my old computer, which worked fine for years.

Though specifically I got a high-pitched noise whenever I moved a mouse, not just in particular cases.

So, now that I think about it, my problem was completely different to yours. Never mind :p

Do you have a stand alone sound card or is it onboard? If it is a standalone sound card, my guess would be that it is picking up interference from your graphics card. Try spacing the card out from other components inside your computer. If you are using onboard sound, could be just a side effect of the particular motherboard you have. And since you can't move onboard sound, you'll just have to live with it or get a sound card that you CAN place away from other components. Either that or a whole new motherboard. I mean, aren't we always looking for reasons to upgrade? :)

Well, basically, I could switch the places of my sound card and pci wireless card. This would make it stop? You're saying it is specifically the sound card being next to the graphics card? Right now the sound card is sandwiched. If I move it down, this should clear up the sound?

And I have no reason to upgrade my mobo. As you can see, I already have a good one.

No gaurantees, but to me, thats what it sounds like from experience. When components are close together, they can interfere with one another, especially sound and graphics, causing what you are experiencing. I would start there by moving the card and seeing if that clears it up. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

The GTX 285/295's are known to squeal (due to the capacitors in them). Mine squeals all the time (usually when Folding, sometimes during games). It was terrible when I first got it, but I learned to get used to it. Just turn your music up and it goes away :p.

Google for "GTX 285 squealing" and you'll get a lot of results.

The GTX 285/295's are known to squeal (due to the capacitors in them). Mine squeals all the time (usually when Folding, sometimes during games). It was terrible when I first got it, but I learned to get used to it. Just turn your music up and it goes away :p.

Google for "GTX 285 squealing" and you'll get a lot of results.

That sounds like the real culprit then, though it might not hurt to try moving the sound card anyhow, as to avoid any other problems in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom