Dual FX-53's

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I found myself in a quandry the other day. I've been planning on going AMD when I buy my computer next summer, but I realised I want to have a comp thats good for video editing, too. So I thought, "Hmmm, maybe I should just stick with Intel?" I didn't want to give up an advantage in gaming though. Then it hit me. I hear most video editing programs support dual cpus. I'll run dual FX's! This will give me a top of the line gaming cpu, plus TWO solid cpus for video editing.

Now my question. Anyone know of any dual socket 939 boards? I've searched and haven't had much luck finding anything except 940's etc. I won't be buying (completing the system anyway) until next summer, but I just want to get an idea of prices right now. Thanks!

You would want the Opteron, not the FX. The Opteron is the same as an FX but it has dual proccessor support. It should give you all you want

the good thing about the Opteron 84X-850 series is their quad processing ability, they do the same thing the P4's HT does, but instead of 2 virtual processors, it's 4. if you have a dual Opteron in this series, you have 8 virtual processors although only 2 physical.

I've heard socket-940 is on it's way out. From what I searched I see Opteron is a socket 940 cpu. Is it still?

Also, would dual fx-53's be possible?

dbernie41 said:
dude... you have too much money to burn

Hardly. I'll be making my system next summer before I go to college and I'd expect prices to drop on fx-53's by then. I don't want to go socket 940 partly because the RAM is much more expensive. I want a solid system that can meet my needs and demands. I dont see a point in dropping 1500 on a system that I'm soon going to need to start upgrading until it dies. I'd rather drop 2500 straight out and have PC that will beat the hell out of anything you throw at it now and last several years.

ehhh no computer will last 'several years'.....I think 2 years would be a good run for a computer...past that it starts to become quite obsolete.....lol kind of sad to think about. But yeah go with socket 939 cause atleast with that you know AMD will continue making chips for that socket and upgrading it.

Heh, I think the Major will beg to differ with that, lol. I'm on a 733mhz PIII that my family purchased about 5 years ago if I remember correctly. 512mb ram and a radeon 8500LE and it runs pretty damn nice. Much faster for gaming than my friend's 1.8ghz P4 system. Main thing holding me back is this darn 56k, cant wait for college!!

ARE there any dual socket 939 boards that will support fx-53? I haven't found any. If there isn't, I'll probably just end up going single 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom