Cooling the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3gh05t

Baseband Member
This is my setup:

- X-Superalien Blue Case
- ABIT "AS8" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel LGA775 CPU -RETAIL
- Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
- Western Digital 250 Gig SATA Hard Drive
- Kingston 512MB DDR400 Ram
- Memorex 8x DVD/RW Drive
- ATi Raedon 9800 Pro 128 MB Video Card

Right now, my CPU temp is around 106 F.

I am using the Intel CPU Cooler that came with the processor.

Would you recommend that I get an aftermarket cpu cooler to help keep those temps down?

How many different CPU coolers will fit my socket configuation?

Thanks, th3gh05t

psht man, I just did an insane job of adding fans and whatnot to my case just to achieve 40C in temperatures........106F is 41C btw....so yeah sure if you want you can get some aftermarket cooling, but I don't think you need it....but realize AMD's (which I have) are known for running hotter than Intels....this AMD I have in there now used to be at 64C idle with stock heatsink on it and no fans....after about $100 worth of wires and fans and top of the line heatsink and Arctic silver and whatnot...I've gone down 24 degrees Celcius.....not only that, but heat just can't stay in my case....I was playing Star wars: Knights of the old republic for 5 hours straight...and when I checked temps it was at 40C and now it's at 38C

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

great site for celcius to fahrenheit conversion..most people recognize celcius quicker than fahrenheit when it comes to CPU temps...or maybe I'm just crazy like that. But yeah as far as intels are concerned I have no idea if that chip is 'running hot' for what it is, but against the temps I've had it seems good.....a guy in another post had an Intel with no special fans and no aftermarket cooling and his was 19C and he had a screenshot! don't know how he got that. Some Intel expert will probably help you out more, but I don't think 41C is too hot unless intels are supposed to be way cooler than that.

How many different CPU coolers will fit my socket configuation?

Just look up your socket type online. There's tons of makers and different heatsinks by the same makers for each and every socket type. Can't go wrong with Thermalright....with heatpipe technology and bigass copper heatsink...I believe they make one for Intels too...good stuff...no fan though...

Thanks for your time to reply!

This is my first PC that I have built myself, so I didn't know what the average temps are supposed to be. I spoke with one Fry's rep, and he said that his CPU temp is around 70F. So, that's why I had a concern for my temperatures.

My Abit motherboard came with some software so I don't have to convert C to F.

Thanks again!

th3gh05t

th3gh05t said:
Thanks for your time to reply!

This is my first PC that I have built myself, so I didn't know what the average temps are supposed to be. I spoke with one Fry's rep, and he said that his CPU temp is around 70F. So, that's why I had a concern for my temperatures.

Thanks again!

th3gh05t
that rep wasn't telling you the whole truth. you can acheive a temp of 70F(21 C) but not on air cooling(unless you are near an A/C Unit).
btw, from the reviews on newegg.com it seems that the temp hovers at around 40 C which for you would be 104F so it looks as though you are safe. you should be worried if you idle temp reaches past 50-60 C(122F - 140F)

Well you don't have to, but I meant for us poor folk who recognize celcius in terms of CPU temps and not fahrenheit.....I only recognize fahrenheit when it relates to the temperatures outside of my house lol

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I took my computer apart and found that one of the heatsink clasps wasn't fully in position.

I took the heatsink off of the MB, cleaned off the dust that was caked on the top of the heatsink, and struggled for 30 min to get those damn clasps to go in.

To get all four of them was a task!

I finally got them in, connected everything back up, booted up, and went to the uGuru bios.

I looked at the temps, and they were already at 112 degrees. I let it sit for 5 minutes, and it climbed up to around 134. It stayed around there four about five minutes before I restarted into XP.

Once XP was loaded, started up the Windows uGuru program, and looked at the temps.

It was only about 113-117 having no programs running, but while browsers are open, and music is playing, the temps are around 125-130.

Is this normal? What temps should I except for my type of system?

Also why is there a discrepancy between the temps in the bios and the ones in Winodws?

Thanks for your time!

th3gh05t

Wow...bringing back an old post lol...

Sometimes windows based software will simply read the sensor wrong. It's not that uncommon to have discrepencies between the two. It's better to assume the hotter temp is the correct one just so you keep the temp under that at all times.

You wouldn't want to think it's the cooler temp and then boom your CPU overheats.

125-130F is 51-54C, those are fine CPU temps for your processor....that's still not full load though, you should check temps after a lot of gaming or run prime95 or something and see how hot it gets after 30 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom