Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 Bottlenecking my 9800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
Yes, I finally got a PSU, replaced it, and put in my new 9800GT :D

But now I think my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU...why?

I was playing Oblivion on my new card and the specs are maxed out (Along with 4x AA, NO V-SYNC) 1680x1050 resolution and I'm getting 20-35 FPS in the wilderness and 20-30 (60 when I look away from stuff) in towns...I thought this card would perform better, not to mention I clocked it to 635 mhz core clock and 952 mhz memory (I cant go higher o.o)

I thought I would at least get 40 fps in Oblivion, is this normal? Or would my CPU bottle neck the 9800GT

Specs:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 (Or E2220??) clocked @ 2.2ghz
XFX Geforce 9800 GT 512 GDDR3
3 Gigs of no-name brand RAM :D
Windows Vista 32 bit home edition

I also heard that running Oblivion in windowed mode would lower the performance, I tried it, and it did, so what are my options? Deal with it, Tweak it, Buy a new CPU?

You didn't specify that. And since you've pointed out that your CPU is a potential bottleneck, the best way to remove a bottleneck is increase its performance until another component is a bottleneck. Since you're on a Dell, I'd say there isn't much you can do, except put more money into it. If you're going to put money into it I would suggest a new board as a start and then OC the CPU.

Do yourself a huge favor if you are going to get a new motherboard etc.
Get a new case.
Something with good airflow as it sounds like you are planing on overclocking your cpu.

Agreed with Hefe. Spend some extra money and get a nice case and new mobo for it, and you'll be able to have yourself a really nice system.

also another thing that is killing your FPS is 4x AA lower it to 2x and you should notice a nice improvement. oblivion is crapply coded game too so it dont run to well. i max it out at 1680x1050 with my GTX 260 and only average around 70-80FPS depending where i am.

Alright thanks guys

And as for 4x MSAA, for some reason 2x is even worse :l

I also got fallout 3 today, and I can play that game with 8x MSAA at 1680 resolution and average 40-70 FPS
so it just goes to show how bad oblivion is coded :)

just play with AA turned off.

one thing i have noticed is that forcing AA through the nvidia control panel always makes it look better and you dont hardly take any performance hit. so instead of using the built in thing for AA in oblivion try forcing it through the control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom