Antec 1200 Quad gpu folding rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i am going to cut out the back of the HDD bay part and throw a MCR220 in there and having it blow out side of the case.

what are you going to use to cut it with? i dont think my dremel is up to the task :p time to break out the angle grinder :D

The dremel will go through this no problem at all, get some decent cut off discs and you'll have no issues. I have a few cuts i'll be doing on hdd drives for wires so I'll post some photos of those....some will be dremel and others will be with the hole saw.

I use a these:

Dremel - EZ Lock Cut-off Wheel Bulk Pack (12 Pieces) - EZ456B - Home Depot Canada

They are expensive but wear slowly and to be honest...i'm lazy and like the quick change feature :p They are the best I've used of the half dozen types i've tried.

Pulled out the old and in with the new:

Picture269.jpg

Picture175.jpg

Should hopefully get some dremel time in this weekend, we'll see, wife is out of town which means I'm on babysitting duty.

i think i am going to cut out the back of the HDD bay part and throw a MCR220 in there and having it blow out side of the case.

what are you going to use to cut it with? i dont think my dremel is up to the task :p time to break out the angle grinder :D

Isn't the drive bay in the 1200 just one large unit? If you cut out the bottom wont the rest just fall?

Not sure if I totally understand the question, the 1200 has 12 drive slots, it comes with three 3-drive casing units for mounting HDDs, each of those 3 drive units has one 120mm fan (see the photos), those bays are held in place by thumbscrews (see photo) so if you pull the bottom out the others will stay where you need them.

I'm not sure if I understand philbar71's plan, i've never done watercooling so I didn't bother really trying to figure it out.

They way I read his post is that he will cut out the actual bays. I don't know how the unit is attached to the case, but I assumed that it it was connected at the bottom. Its like taking the ground floor out of a building. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Don't know any other way of explaining it to you....

Here is a photo from extremetech.com, you can see the three drive cages. At the top there is the bundle of wires, the DVD drive goes in there, the cages convert to 3.5 so a HDDs can be mounted, the first cage (top one) has the fan bracket on it so that another 120mm can be mounted for additional airflow behind the HDDs. The bottom two cages are empty but you can see the support rails where the HDDs sit. Each cage is held in place by the thumbscrewsso you can pull anyone out and there will be up to 8 screws supporting it. So you don't have to worry about the bottom one being pulled and the others falling down.

ExtremeTech

I have to admit, I've been happy with the 1200's design so far. One flaw is the front fan mounts, when you pull the fan you'll notice four hollow little mounts on which the fan's screw holes fit. you then screw it in from the back into the hollow center of these mounts to hold it in place. Unfortunately these mounts are relatively flimsy and its easy to over tighten a screw and pop the mount right off. One isn't a big deal and if you pop two off its still doable from opposite corners. With my luck I popped two off the same side and had to use some tape of the Gods to hold the fan in place now on the other side. Is completely invisible but is annoying and is going to be **** the next time I try and unstick that fan. So carefull when you replace these fans....

Look man, this isn't a difficult concept.

nocage.jpg

By taking out the hard drive BAY, he is removing the entire framework. IO don't see anywhere other than the base that it is attached to the case. If you did that, the only thing that would keep it form falling would be the dvd drive, and after putting hard drives in there that would be a lot of w eight. Now maybe there is something I don't know about this case, but from where I am looking this is a bad move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom