all is well not with xp sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinetech

Baseband Member
what the heck is xp sp2.i have heard a lot of people speak after insatlling sp2 ,and then the real story starts.then when they download windows install windows update it screws the whole system , and also some other problem have also been noticed ,like nav bein disabled after installing xp sp 2.or winserv error.etc

so geeks out there any rules on how to insatll service pack 2

expecting some quick answers

k

i installed sp2 and it seems to work fine. it blocks pop-ups ok but not all. i have to temp disable firewall to download stuff from sites every time but its simple and thats fine cause it looks like its working. i dont think ive really encountered any probs.

soyo k8usa
amd64 3200+
corsair pc3200 512
maxtor 250gb
maxtor 160sata raid0
ati 9800xt
audigy2zs platinum
dell 2001fp 20" lcd

I haven't installed it and never will. Windows XP SP1 is the only version of Windows I have ever been able to use without having to constantly scream at Bill Gates because it crashes so much....there's no way I'm giving that up....

i tink the only _safe_ way to install ANY service pack is to download the IT deloyment version, and slipstream/integrate it with the installation cd and start off with a fresh clean windows.. hotfixes and services packs are a bad thing once u have things like NAV and stuff installed.. (plus i like to format it keeps my hdd cleaner :))

Tux

tuxp3 said:
i tink the only _safe_ way to install ANY service pack is to download the IT deloyment version, and slipstream/integrate it with the installation cd and start off with a fresh clean windows.. hotfixes and services packs are a bad thing once u have things like NAV and stuff installed.. (plus i like to format it keeps my hdd cleaner :))

Tux

first-this is just my opinion. seems like some of them around here don't give enough credit to the people that start the thread, that they can make up their own mind.

You want to be able to uninstall it. if it works for you-fine. if it doesn't like in my case, I uninstalled it

From the testing that I have done with SP2 for our work environment, SP2 doesn't look all that bad. After installing it on a new system it appears that the only major problem for us is that the Firewall blocks some of our local web sites. This is easy enough to deal with and so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

as for home use, I have no problems with it for the moment. I have yet to experience any issues that would warrent not installing it.

I have it installed on two systems and each had the same problem of hanging when the restart was done. In our case we powered down the machine and after a few seconds powered them on and the OS functioned OK. The MS firewall turned back on upon restart but that was the only unusual thing that happened.
As to system crashes with MS products I have not experienced them. I believe computer configurations have to be spelled out along with applications running that crash to make a decision for wider problems.

i tried putting on and had no end of problems wouldent connect to internet some programs wouldent work etc the only way i managed to get it on with no probs was to reistall a fresh copy of windows and load sp2 before loading all my programs it now runs fine

mlr said:
i tried putting on and had no end of problems wouldent connect to internet some programs wouldent work etc the only way i managed to get it on with no probs was to reistall a fresh copy of windows and load sp2 before loading all my programs it now runs fine

Thats what I do with 2000 out of habit, never dawned on me with xp. thats a good idea!

well ya the built in POP-UP BLOCKER....will BLOCK certain things...what a concept...but i have sp2 on both my computers and no probs as of yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom