Upgrading my Desktop (Clueless)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Trotter, so i don't need to upgrade my motherboard? everything will work fine? Won't be slow or anything?

The 740G is low man on the AMD totem pole. You won't be able to overclock with your current board. Upgrading to a new board would be a good step to take, but it depends on your budget. You could go for a while with your current board.

Ok cool, well i guess i'll keep my board for just alittle longer, but for future reference any good boards you can suggest? i'd say around the price range of SUPER CHEAP - to a maximum of around 175-200ish dollars?

Well, Ik'm glad you're a noob, and don't know what dual slots are :)

To put the slots thing to rest.. You're all set.

Good thing Trotter woke up and chimed in. Once again, I'm not a person to spec mobos a cpus, and never claimed it.

Trotter, you think a psu is needed? As usually, are't oems poor on Amps?

Btw CN.. 200 is a real good board.

Also, maybe look into a bigger case, your airflow will love you ;)

Yeah i already have a few larger cases in mind. Thanks patonb.

So i'm good for the graphics card! wooo, I'll probably wait for the HD4770 before i decide, there are GTX260 that aren't for much more so i'll think about that. Of course you're all free to leave any suggestion for any parts and i'll appreciate it and gladly take any of it for consideration.

I have to add one more question before i'm done, this PSu wouldn't be powerful enough to run a GTX260 would it?

The 40nm 4770 will be released on the 5th of May IIRC....if you can wait I'd say it's a perfect GPU for your setup.

HD4770spec.jpg

Actually can the 4770 run with 420w supply?

It's more than just about the wattage of the power supply. A single 12V rail with high amperage is desirable. It's also about the quality of the power supply and Raidmax PSU's aren't liked too well.

I would say no. It might "run" but would not work properly. you would get lockups and crashes and could easily kill the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom