Official Intel Overclocking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems that i hit a wall at about 540FSB, i have MX-2 on it and i have sanded down the block with some 2000 grit sand paper. so the CPU might need lapping.

and i am hopefully going to get a DICE pot from peter and aspire and try some more.

but i will try your suggestons tomorow i've got to leave but tomorow i'll try some more :D

My Q6600 is just crappy, whatever I try I can't get it past 3.3. Over that Core1 fails after an hour of Prime, no matter what I try.

A friend of mine finally got all the stuff for his budget build. He wants to oc his E5200.
A few quick questions.
He should stay below 60'C to be safe?
Voltage below 1.4V?
People are getting 4Ghz out of e5200 but what should he easily get for sure without much trouble? Like the q6600 could get 3ghz easily by just changing fsb even 3.2 with old batch.

His specs:
E5200 obviously
Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Gigabyte ep43 ds3l
OCZ Gold 4gb

On a side note. Anyone heard of CRS PSU's? Are they good? I told him to get a Corsair CX or Antec Earthwatts for reliability but he got a CRS 400W PSU for price.

Never heard of CRS, I bet it blows up in his face.

You pretty much have the bounds nailed down. I'll tell you now that you will probably have to break 1.4v to get 4ghz, but I'll also tell you that Intel is very conservative with their equipment specs, You can take it up to a maybe a bit over 1.5v without permanent damage in reality. Although I wouldn't keep it there long.

If you are under 60C in everything but stress testers than I would say you are good to go. make sure you apply TX-2 to that heatsink. And make sure you have good airflow.

Yea those were my thoughts exactly about the CRS. Oh well it's his choise in the end...

60 or 80 is quite a difference. I take it normal load not stress test should stay below 60 then? Probably save between 60-70?
HS has mx-2 applied. Couldn't get tx-2 at the shop but mx-2 is also great if i'm not mistaken. I have to say, the pre-applied mx-1 was pretty thick...
I guess airflow isn't anything special. He's got the Cooler Master 331 elite with one exhaust fan at the back (came with the case). HS-fan also blowing that way off course + videocard is a hd4670 so that shouldn't get to hot. Cable management isn't that great but not it's hindering the cpu fan.

I'll just tell him to try 3 - 3.5ghz and see if he notices any performance differences or needs it for that matter. He's not really into games and stuff... but wants to oc just because it's a good oc-er...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom