Post question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
What hardware needs to be installed to POST? Just the CPU and power supply? (And motherboard obviously, lol.)

well assuming you don't have on board you'll need a GPU to see whats going on too. And i think you also need ram as well. So basically everything but a HDD.

Meh. Pretty much everything then ey.
Just wanted to double check any powersupply i get is in order before chucking in everything but theres not really a way around it.

Yeah i guess there really isn't. At least if your psu fails and fries everything your HDD would be saved :p

if you wanna check your psu what you can do is hook up a fan to a +5v connector, and pop a staple or paper clip in 2 of the psu wires, generally a green and black wire will do I believe.. If it starts the fan up then you're good to go.

I've done it on plenty occasions and I'm still here to tell the tale :) I've also poured freezing acetone onto my motherboard, put 2v through a proc on air and have it boot into windows and put dry ice directly on a heatsink... So take any of my advice with a grain of salt.

Sticking a paperclip between the right pins will do it.

Otis, it is perfectly safe. Just don't touch the paperclip while its on of course. Thats how most smart people test their watercooling loops without putting all of their components in with a possibly leaky loop

Sticking a paperclip between the right pins will do it.

Otis, it is perfectly safe. Just don't touch the paperclip while its on of course. Thats how most smart people test their watercooling loops without putting all of their components in with a possibly leaky loop

I think I took what was said earlier COMPLETELY wrong, I'm a bloody idiot, I apologize. I'm on edge up the ying yang today. We did that back in high school to start a power supply without having it connected to the motherboard. Wow. When I did a DD WC loop awhile ago, it came with a handy dandy jumper plug you connected to the 20+4 that did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom