i7 Build Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno09

Beta member
I am thinking about building a new desktop and was looking for some recommendations. I am pretty sure I wanna go with an i7 920 and NVIDIA card. My budget is about $1500, I am not really concerned about cutting it cheaper than that, unless the price to performance ratio is far out of line. I already have a nice 24" LCD monitor, so I won't need one of those.

I have a NAS, so performance > storage capacity. Also, my preference is to do all my business with newegg, they have always been reliable for me, and I find it easier for everything to come from the same place.

That would be a massive raid0 array. Would be faster but with increased chance of data loss. If you back up regularly and want a speed increase go for it. If not I would stay away from it.

I prefer a raid0 or an ssd (if they were more affordable) for OS and programs and a large single drive for data.

If you're writting and transfering a large amount of data, that is a sizeable increase over what your average user and gamer would do, then a RAID-0 would be worth it. Like what was stated above, you add twice the risk of data loss. If one HDD goes, you're done. What's the alternative?

RAID 0+1

Here's a wikipedia entry on various RAID levels

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're better off getting an SSD over a RAID-0 for your desktop, unless you're doing some heavy file work.

But with your budget and wanting an i7 rig, you're better off putting that money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom