my 1st laptop,help

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuobo

Baseband Member
Hey techies in the house,i'm about to get my 1st laptop after using desktops for 12yrs and i really afraid of getting junk.I want to get an acer aspire with 4gb ram ,ati mobility radeon upto 1gb shared,intel c2d,320gb nd other specs.the question is,does the brand name matters to any extent?cos i saw a hp of same specs which was a bit more expensive but i like the acer's design.techies in d house,i need you help on this please.

If you give us a budget we could probably find you a better one. Thats not to say that the Acer is crap but from your specs I'm guessing it's around $600-$800 which you can get a pretty decent laptop for that kind of money.

Thanks 4 d reply,i have approx $800.anyhope for me getting a slightly good gaming machine?And one more question,say, if you are in a position to select between 2 machine-one of 3gb ram and 512mb gpu or another of 4gb ram and 256mb gpu,which would be your choice and why(minus the ability to upgrade ram)?thanks

You can't game on an $800 laptop, and I would assert that you shouldn't game on any laptop. Its a terrible experience.

Aside from acer's netbook I wouldn't get their laptops. They arent the best.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

You could get an upgraded insipron 13 for $800. Its small, light and pretty zippy. I would only buy 1 gig of ram because you can buy the ram yourself from newegg.com for much less than Dell is selling it. You can also step up to the pentium dual core for $50, but I wouldn't get the corer 2 as it isn't worth double the cash.

Sager NP2096 Custom Laptop (Built on Compal JHL90) Sagernotebooks NP2096
$850 for a Sager. They (Clevo/Sager) make alienware laptops. No alienware overhead.
15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
Intel® T6400 45nm Core™2 Duo 2.0GHz w/2MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB 35W
9600M GT 512MB PCI-Express DDR2 DX10
4,096MB DDR2 800
320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

edit: You could try to win this w/ 20 hrs left. This would be the laptop I would personally purchase
Sager Multimedia and Gaming Laptop NP5793

I will say this, a laptop isn't meant for SERIOUS gaming, but the Dell Vostro laptops used to or still do come with 8600M and 8800 series graphics cards in them, dedicated, far better than most out there, but that Sager third pulled up for you, appears to be a REALLY good deal.

Sager NP2096 Custom Laptop (Built on Compal JHL90) Sagernotebooks NP2096
$850 for a Sager. They (Clevo/Sager) make alienware laptops. No alienware overhead.
15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
Intel® T6400 45nm Core™2 Duo 2.0GHz w/2MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB 35W
9600M GT 512MB PCI-Express DDR2 DX10
4,096MB DDR2 800
320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

edit: You could try to win this w/ 20 hrs left. This would be the laptop I would personally purchase
Sager Multimedia and Gaming Laptop NP5793

That laptop is 17inches, that's a big no no. I personally would never use anything over 13inch widescreen or 14inch at 4:3, and I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 15.4inch. Beyond that you have lost all practical mobility.

Maybe for you but I'm sure there are plenty of people that will lug a 17" 1920X1200,blu ray reader, 4gb ram, enough gpu to power through most games. Having that power on hand anywhere you go is a huge plus for me. I've always been a desktop user but now being able to setup studio anywhere is huge. I've even been eyeing the Asus 18.4 q9000 (forgot model). Screen real estate is really important to me.

I agree with zmatt fully. Anything over 13.3" and above 4 pounds is just not portable for me. However, and having had several iterations of ThinkPad X series - back in '98 a 1.6kg laptop was quite something - I also don't like or recommend ULV based systems like the current X300 or the Portégé R500, because those ultra-low voltage procs just don't perform well at all, and they are stupidly expensive too. Hence, my Dell XPS1330 is by far the favourite laptop I've ever had, and I've had some very expensive stuff back when my former company used to buy me whatever I wanted.

With the XPS 1330 you can get a real proc (up to T9600), discrete graphics (mine is 8400GS, I think you can spec up to 8600M), and if you need a bigger monitor just use the built in HDMI and plug it in any old HD-Ready set with perfect image quality. There is even a free IR remote in the PC Card slot! All that at 1.8kg (cca 4lb).

As for "gaming" on a laptop, I take a different approach - I just use older games (currently on my laptop: NWN 1 + expansion packs + modules, World of Warcraft, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2). I think I'll pop on Trackmania United soon, that should run well too. It's just a matter of adjusting the mentality a bit. There are plenty of old (and not so old) games that run just fine on a system like this.

I think a low spec 1330 can be had for somewhere around your budget.

EDIT: Something a bit more on topic: Several of my staff have Acer laptops, I get good deals on them, and some have been using theirs for 3 years+ without a problem. So I guess that my experience with them is OK. I like Dell and Lenovo though. Those Lenovos are made to last, really, just like their predecessors (IBM) were. Incredibly sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom