Building a budget server cluster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvorak

Solid State Member
Hi all!

First a story:
When people make animated movies, cinematics for games, or high quality 3D art, the scenes need to be rendered. This generally takes a lot of time on even high end computers (days) and uses up all its power.

Artists sometimes need to work on other things during that time, but can't because the computer is busy working. My servers do the work for them!

Now the question =)

So it's about time to get some new hardware, and I was hoping you guys & gals could look over my rig. Any suggestions are welcome!

I tried to go for the least expensive decent quad core I could get, as it should outperform any same cost dual core for my needs. Note that a graphics card is not required because the software utilizes only the CPU.

AMD Opteron 2.2ghz quad core
ECS A780GM-A
2x Transcend 4GB (2 x 2GB)
OCZ StealthXStream 600W
NORCO 4U Rackmount

comes out to $338 (without rebates) for a quad core system with 8gb ram. I'm thinking I could cut back on the power supply, and I'd rather stick the thing on a desk then spend $60 on a case when the whole system is $278 without it :p

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should change the cpu to AMD Phenom 9600 2.3ghz this would also allow me to get DDR2 1066 RAM, as it is not compatible with the opteron

Let me know what y'all think. I plan to get 3 or more identical rigs.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom