Can't get 1680 by 1050 resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
OK, so we have a Dell 22" Monitor that we are trying to use on our older Dell system. The monitor states it has a 1680 by 1050 resolution.

The monitor obviously works with the system as I am using it right now. However, when I go Start, Control panel, change display settings, there is no option for 1680 by 1050. The closest reolutions are 1600 by 1200 or 1600 by 1000.

In addtion, if I try to use 1600 by 1200 resolution, it does not work. The screen goes black with a message across the front saying "Analog Input: Cannot Display This Video....Optimum Resolution 1680 by 1050 60 Hz". Then after about 30 seconds, the XP screen just comes back on.......

Apparently, the video card I have is NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 440 w/APG 8X. It says memory for video card is 64 MB? Plug and Play.....

Additional Info: 768 MB of memory, 40 GB HD, Windows XP, Dell Desktop Pentium 4.

So what do I need to do exactly? Can I use this monitor at its native resolution? Is the video card too outdated? Do I need to download a driver or something? Any help, instructions, or links to what to do would be very much appreciated. Thanks.....

Your card probably can't support the resolution. Make sure drivers are up do date like FlashDude said, and see. I'd say its the card thats the problem though.

Does the driver say Microsoft? If so download the nivida specific driver. If the resolution still doesn't work you need to upgrade your video card.

Here is the latest driver: ForceWare Windows XP/2000 32-bit

A cheap little card like this would work great. Newegg.com - VisionTek 900128 Radeon X1050 256MB GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Does driver say Microsoft? Um...where? I just tried to look up system specs and told me that computer had that NVIDIA video card. I don't think the video card is replaceable in this desktop....I could be wrong.

I'll download the driver, but is there a chance it could mess something up instead?

Thanks for help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom