Opinions on i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for clearing up the ram voltages. I'll probably consider the OCZ Platinum since its at a low price and should be even lower a few months from now. Plus, I'll get to work in the bios. It would be good to get some experience under my belt.

I noticed that there are three EVGA boards on Newegg.

Newegg.com - EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E759-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI Classified ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Which one are you guys referring to?

About the Compusa/Tigerdirect links, I don't think I will be needing 12 gigs of ram. Plus, I plan on getting the i7 from microcenter since there is one about 20 minutes from my house. I'll be saving about 60-80 bucks :D. I hope there's a sale and it goes back to $200 though. Im thinking of switching the NZXT to CM HAF 932. I like being able to route the cables to the back of the MB and having all that space. Looks nice too.

Updated build so far:

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (I may consider the first EVGA I posted)
CPU from Microcenter

You want the one thats in the middle. The classified is overkill for everybody except extreme overclockers, and the TR is is like the slightly dumbed down version and I think I heard it only has a 1 year warranty instead of lifetime (don't quote me on that, I have to double check there).

Heres something I've been thinking. In a month, AMD will drop the prices of the HD 4000 series by a good amount. $50 or so. Theres an article, but I gotta dig it up.

Anyway, I thought I would hold off on the build and wait til July when the video card's prices are dropped and pick up a 4850 (which should be <$100) or 4870. I would then use the card for my new build and wait till AMD releases their new series. I would pick up the new cards at the end of the year or so and transfer the 4850 to the computer I am using currently.

The thing is, Im not sure if my current build can handle a 4850 (Im leaning more towards the 4850 instead of the 4870 for this reason). I feel like it would bottleneck a single core, socket 939 AMD 3200 with a Xclio 480w PSU.

Once I finish my new build, I will be giving this current computer to my brothers so I thought why not give them a new video card (currently have the 7800gt). The 4850 would be cheap by then so why not. The 4850 should hold me well for that duration.

And since new cards are coming out soon, I thought I might as well go with new technology even though it will cost more and take awhile.

So, what do you guys think? Should I go this route or say screw it and get a 4870 or 4890 and forget about upgrading the Vid card for my brothers. Of course, this depends on the pricing of the new series and whether my current computer can handle.

Currently:

Asus A8N5x
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
XCLIO 480BL
EVGA 7800gt

If it cant handle, then disregard this post.

I would use this PSU. Almost as good and $50 cheaper. It is running my over clocked i7 with plenty of room to spare.

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

As for the video card I think a HD4850 should definitly be fine but you should probobly wait for another opinon on that. I like NVIDIA cards better so I would get a GTX 280 for $250 but thats just personal taste.

I would use this PSU. Almost as good and $50 cheaper. It is running my over clocked i7 with plenty of room to spare.

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

As for the video card I think a HD4850 should definitly be fine but you should probobly wait for another opinon on that. I like NVIDIA cards better so I would get a GTX 280 for $250 but thats just personal taste.

I came up with a different build so disregard my first post and the post made on April 15.

I'll update my build a little later.

Still waiting on what others think about my plan in the last post.

The 4850 will be bottlenecked by a 939 system. I had a 4850 in my old opteron rig for a week while I was waiting for the rest of my build to come in the mail and the performance difference between the opteron and core 2 was day and night.

I also doubt that your psu can handle the 4850, but that pc power and cooling is a good bet. great brand and it has plenty of power.

The 4850 will be bottlenecked by a 939 system. I had a 4850 in my old opteron rig for a week while I was waiting for the rest of my build to come in the mail and the performance difference between the opteron and core 2 was day and night.

I also doubt that your psu can handle the 4850, but that pc power and cooling is a good bet. great brand and it has plenty of power.

Ahh okay then. Forget about going that route. I'll just hold off for another month or so and continue with my planned build. I'll list my updated build.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
- Switched from the 932 to the 922 because the 922 is slightly shorter. but the inside retains a big room. It being slightly shorter and having about the same inside room as the 932 is perfect for me.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
- Its either this or maybe the 4890. I'll have to wait a month and see what happens to the pricing.

SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
- Im set on modular. I decided to go with this instead of the corsair because it is cheaper, but still has my modular needs. Silverstone is pretty reliable too.

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- I'm looking at the new EVGA X58 LE, but waiting on reviews, etc. I think I'll probably stick with ASUS though. The EVGA X58 A1 is nice, but its up there in price and probably is more than what I want.

Processor probably at Microcenter

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

LG drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom