GPU needs and such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my next purchase.. I believe it will be.. umm... Next Friday, will be a HAF932 case... so I have room for a monster card, and get to spend lovely hours doing cable management and then photograph it to show it off in the proper section....

after that.. all funds go to A video card, but if a dual set is what I agree on obviously it will be 1 of the 2. I am thinking = in the 'lowest grade' a 4870 (or Nvidea = ) but probably going for 4890+

are the GTX 285 really worth $100 more over a 4890, performance wise? Games are fine and all but for $100 difference I can buy both those games and have money left over lol.

So it really comes down to the battle, HD 4890 vs GTX 285, $250 vs roughly $350 dollars... and honestly I don't think the GTX 285 can perform about 30% better then the 4890.....

Looking at some benches it doesn't look like I will notice a bit of difference in the type of games I play (the big hitter being Fallout3 right now, and later, Diablo 3 when it arrives.....) 1920x1080 wasn't listed but 1920x1200 showed minimal FPS difference with everything cranked out to max (like literally in 1 case... 2 FPS) So.... $100 more for something I won't notice.. not really needed... however... then I gotta think... I wanna Record While I play, using FRAPS and such, and that tends to make performance drain, so.. would one HD 4890 be able to record a decent FPS while still playing a good FPS without lag /stutter?

Side note- off topic- anyone reccomend a good Audio Card? I have a Asus- P6T Deluxe motherboard, so
Expansion Slots
3x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x1)
1x PCI Express x1
2x PCI Slots

Although 1 PciE 2.0x16 will be used for GPU and it will cover 1 PCI slot up
If I cross fire later, all 3 x16 slots will be used or blocked (because of the layout) (not sure if I can xfire come to think of it... that is a long gap for a bridge... )

Is cross fire going to be able to work for this? The bridge for the connection would have to stretch over the first PCIex16 slot, 2 PCI slots, and then into the second PCIex16 card.. seems like the bridge would be.. a little short....

So really I have a PCI express x1 slot open, as long as it is ok to be directly above the GPU, and a PCI slot open to use, due to the layout of the board.

Here's a picture to help:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

(I know that's V2, but the PCI layout is the same I think, it matches the one in my User Guide)

The 4890 will be bale to run fraps fine, the gtx285 is not that much of a difference.

As for the sound card, do you want high fidelity audio or good gaming surround sound? The difference will determine what sound card you should get. If you want gaming then Sound Blaster xFIs are good, if you want good audio then ASUS Xonars are a smart choice.

Yea but I don't think I can Cross Fire... so bleh.. now I gotta look for something that can power like 2 monitors and record movies while I play my games and not slow me down.. all on it's own... and not to mention stay Cool and not over heats..... *sigh* there goes my pretty plan

Can a 4850x2 work on 2 1920x1080 (1080P) monitors without killing games?

Umm.. Hmm.. I don't really have good "speakers" so to say.. I have some old $20 pair w/sub from Wal-Mart (creative brand) that I use.. and typically on FPS games I use headphones... so what would you recommend?

Will the sound card affect my Headphones? The reason I am lookin into a soundcard is that in Fallout3 the Radio plays.. but it breaks up and stutters, at first I thought it was in game reasons (not spoiling anything here...) but it's not... it's every "station" as I play... It could be GPU related.. since it only really seems to happen when I am loading a lot of stuff (like monsters, buildings, and debris) but it's prevented me from actually enjoying the radio feature in game it stutters so badly..... and I use my cruddy speakers for the sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom