Would it run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a few more questions/concerns. Sorry if I'm bothering you guys, I didn't feel it was necessary to start a new topic.

I've been reading about UPS power back ups. I used APC's tool on their website that allows you to put your hardware info in and it selects ups devices that would be appropriate for your system. When I did that I got Newegg.com - APC BR800BLK 800 VA 540 Watts 7 Outlets UPS - UPS as an option. Do any of you have any experience with this brand or specific device?

Also, I've still been thinking about the water cooling. I know you said it wouldn't really be worth it, but 186 F seems like a high temperature for anything, let alone a PC component. Is that really an ok temperature for a GPU? Would that temperature shorten the card's life span?

If I did decide to go with water cooling, would the 500W PSU I have now support it? I have my old PSU that came in the PC (I got an upgraded one because I bought a different GPU with the PC) that's 300W. Or would it be better to use that old PSU as a dedicated supply for the water cooling? I was thinking about this as an option: Petra's Tech Shop, so maybe use that as a guideline to see if that would run on the 500W.

Here is a list of everything else using my PC for power: Xbox 360 controller, WD 160gb external HD, Samsung 19" widescreen flat panel monitor, at&t DSL router, Cyber Acoustics 2.1 sound system, mouse, keyboard.

Again, thanks for all of the help so far!

P.S. Sorry for double posting but I couldn't find the edit post button on my last post.

If you just want to lower your temps on the gfx card, a simple aftermarket air cooler would be a much more practical solution.

Yeah that would make more sense. So, today I started looking at different heat sinks and fans. Here is one that would work with my gpu: Petra's Tech Shop This will require me to take off the plastic top piece on the card right?
I also looked at cpu heatsinks. Not sure if it would be a good decision to get one though. Here is the one I'm looking at: Petra's Tech Shop
Also took a look at case fans, this seems like a good deal to me: Petra's Tech Shop 4 for $15.96 seems like a pretty good price. I would most likely put two on top of the case, and the other two on the side. Unless there is a better setup than that.

One thing that would concern me is the space in my case. Here are a few pictures of the inside of the case:
1000212z.jpg

1000214v.jpg

1000215t.jpg

1000216u.jpg
1000223y.jpg

As you can see, there isn't a whole lot of space, I'm just worrying about everything not fitting. The wire management is bad too, that's how it came when it was bought though. I was looking at a few wire management aides: Petra's Tech Shop and Petra's Tech Shop. They seem well worth it to me (I already have zip ties too) Just a sidenote, some of those extra wire sets from the psu would be used right? There just seems like there is a lot of extra wires there, but I guess that is a good thing from a modders point of view... But, would that cpu heat sink be more beneficial than the one in there?

Of course if I did get the extra fans, I would have to cut holes in my case. I've never actually taken everything out of a computer and put it back together again. Something I'm a little leerie on. Not sure my parents would let me do that anyway, but my dad does have all the tools, and is pretty good with them. (It's actually the family PC, but everyone else hardly uses it). One more question concerning taking the pc apart, static. I know you should use static straps, but do you guys buy them or make them. If you do make them, how/what do you use? For using them, do you just attach the clip to something magnetic and put the strap on your wrist and that's it?

Seems like my favorite question haha, if I did get the gpu heatsink, cpu heatsink, and the 4 fans, would my psu run all of it?

Sorry for all of the questions, I hope I'm not annoying everyone. Thanks for the help so far.

That cpu heatsink will not fit. It's too tall and would interfere with the side panel.

Find one with a height less than 140mm.

Don't worry about static. Most components nowadays aren't sensitive enough to be affected. **** I've built computers on shag carpet.

For starters take all of your extra psu cables and tuck them under your cd drive. All of those wires blocking air flow around your gpu is not helping at all.

Clean up your wiring and allow for better air flow.

I thought it was a little big. This one is smaller, performance doesn't look to bad to me: Petra's Tech Shop
Wow, shag carpet, that's a static landmine haha.
Ok, those are pretty big wires that are in the way, thanks for the tip.

Edit: I'm not sure about the dimensions now, it doesn't give total dimensions, just seperate. 240mm doesn't sound quite right though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom