Upgrading my Desktop (Clueless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluelessnoob

Baseband Member
Upgrading my Desktop (Running Crysis)

Hey everyone! I'm new here and i'd just like to get some input!
I'm planning to upgrade a few pieces of my PC Desktop.

It's an Acer Aspire M1201
Currently with:
Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium
AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e 2.3GHZ
4 - 1GB DDR2 - 800MHZ Ram (4GB Total)
EVGA Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256MB
250 Watt PSU

That's all the information i have on my computer, i wanted to see if i could get a new motherboard, processor and power supply first and these were the ones i had in mind:

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4N72-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Processor:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam PSU-BKS-480-US 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

First off i wanted to ask if it were possible to install all these into my current computer? Is there anything that isn't compatible with my current hardware? I don't know much about computers so go easy on me . And 2nd, if i switch the motherboard does it allow me to change to a 64bit Vista Or would i still need some sort of recovery disc with 64bit option on it? I plan on upgrading my ram and graphics card at a later time (sooner than later)
Any tips, input and help would be greatly appreciated!

Also if you guys would recommend a better Motherboard / Processor / PSU for around the same price i'd gladly appreciate that as well -- my spending limit is $240.00.

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* :
Better yet, what should i get in order to run "Crysis" game? What would be the best options? Would it be ok if i upgraded everything but the motherboard (instead of motherboard, a new graphics card)?

Your current motherboard is a mATX board. A ATX board will not fit in your current case.

Your current motherboard is a mATX board. A ATX board will not fit in your current case.

Well would the processor and PSU work with my current motherboard?

Also i'm not sure if i'm following with the whole "matx" and the difference between the "ATX" you'll have to give me more information :)

And what if i only upgrade my graphics card to a "GTS 250" ? Would that be ok to run on my computer?

Also if it's not too much trouble, if you could just recommend me some parts to upgrade the computer in a $240.00-$260.00 Budget (i know it's not much) so that i would be able to at least run Crysis (Low-med settings, not looking for max, don't have the money for that.)

Can't recommendyou a build, but mATX means micro ATX. Its the physical size of the board.. and case.

Which leads to the 250.. might not fit in your case.

Maybe think of updating the case psu and video card. Also, as you're on a budget, look at ATI vid cards. Best bang for the buck.

Then update the rest later.

Thanks! What video card, case and power supply would you reconmend for around $250.00 Total? To allow me to semi-play Crysis anyways

Case will work just fine... I think only Dell uses non-standard motherboard mounting.

but cases are personal opinion. The Coolmaster is nice, but get a mid tower with mATX compatabgility, 90+% are, just check the spec page.

Solid psu,

The 250gts is nice, but I think a 4850 beats it, for same price. So as on a budget I'd grab that, and bank the savings for later.

Thank you guys for all your help, i was looking into the GTS 250, it honestly doesn't look too bad, i could also invest in a PSU and that should be good, no? Would i be at least able to run crysis with my current spec and the new GFX Card and PSU? Actually I'll need recommendations for a decent yet cheapish power supply, hopefully still within the 240-260 dollar budget (total) Thanks in advance!

Also which would you guys go for?

GTS 250:
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1156-TR GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

GTX 260:
Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 896-P3-1265-RX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom