I'm finally ready to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney55

Beta member
Well I have finally come up with the cash to build a machine. I was looking at AMD for the processor but may consider INTEL, especially after seeing a little video on Tom's Hardware site. If your fan goes out AMD don't last too long. I'm not a gamer. I want a machine basically to do a little programming, some stuff with web developement, Internet, email, maybe some audio stuff. I know there are some good motherboards out there with on board sound thats not too bad and pretty good video. I would like to build the system with a budget of $1000 to $1200. If needed I could come up with maybe $200 to $300 more but really don't want too. I have been looking at one hardware website that has what looks like some pretty good deals on 19 inch LCD, I don't know if I want to go that way or maybe a 21inch CRT. I just don't want to buy a bunch of lowend crap. Let me know what your thoughts are as far as hardware.

Thanks
:confused:

take a look at zipzoomfly.com
ur looking at something like this:

intel 3.4 lga
a good mobo (dont know intel that well)
160 sata HD
gforce 6800 (or gt if u like)
1 gb xms series ram
use onboard sound.

If the monitor is included on the budget, get a lower gfx card like 9700 pro, and get a 19 inch lcd.

other sites are newegg.com
pricewatch.com
monarchcomputer.com

I say go with AMD. Must cheaper and more bang for your buck.

If your fan goes out AMD don't last too long
Generally speaking, when a fan goes out you probably won't hear it, so it doesn't matter who you go with, just that you get a quality heatsink/fan combo.

pretty good deals on 19 inch LCD, I don't know if I want to go that way or maybe a 21inch CRT
I'm always a fan of bigger monitors. Go with the 21inch

well its up to u. for the same priuce range, u can get a amd 64 bit proc. U wont c that much of a difference honestly, since ur not gaming. they both will work fine.

save a few$ on the monitor, and get a better gfx card. 21 inch is expensive. 19 is more than enough

I would wait until about X-mas time. You should expect to see Nforce 4, and other PCI express AMD mobos, cheaper DDR 2, and cheaper 939 proccessors. You would be getting one hell of a bang for your buck then, that's why I'm waiting until about then.

No offence to you guys, but why would u want him to waste his money on something he doesnt need?

Get him something basic that can handle what he wants. Jesus, I hope he doesnt take that advice and actually get what you said.

6800? Athlon 64? All this to NOT play games and browse the internet? Come on' You could get yourself a decent computer for what your asking for for at least $500. Save your money.

Yea, he doesn't need a 6800 unless he's a serious gaming. I'd say go with an ATI 9600 series. Plenty cheap enough, but still enough power that he has the option of getting into games if he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom