some advice for a new computer builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm liking this case but I don't know how to tell if it will be compatible with all the gear that you've suggested.

I have a $2,000 limit and this will be my first gaming comp.
these are what i am thinking or getting
My computer specs
Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology)
8GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4x2048]
640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850
HP 2009m 20-inch 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor
Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
Premium Wireless-N LAN card
Logitech X-540 5.1 stereo speakers
This all comes out to be $1,559.98

tell me what you think and what should i get ?

Don't get 8 gigs or ram, 1: it doesn't improve performance, and 2: core i7 is tri-channel so you will be installing ram in groups of 3 or 6 not 2 or 4. Look for 3 gig or 6 gig kits. Also 1066mhz is really slow for ddr3, get 1333mhz or 1600mhz.

I don't like your choice of monitor either. Why HP?

For a $2000 budget you should get a better video card.

Don't buy a blu-ray drive, they are useless. Watch blu ray on you tv.

Don't buy logitech speakers, if you want real sound then get a real sound system.

Why do you have wifi on a desktop?

And I don't see a case or a power supply listed.

You can take the base build I listed earlier and beef it up a bit. consult the Recommended parts guide 2.0 for ideas. I would make a list myself but I am about to leave for dinner.

do you think that having DDR3 memory will affect my latency dramatically? Or will the value of the latency not add too much?

Don't get 8 gigs or ram, 1: it doesn't improve performance, and 2: core i7 is tri-channel so you will be installing ram in groups of 3 or 6 not 2 or 4. Look for 3 gig or 6 gig kits. Also 1066mhz is really slow for ddr3, get 1333mhz or 1600mhz.

I don't like your choice of monitor either. Why HP?

For a $2000 budget you should get a better video card.

Don't buy a blu-ray drive, they are useless. Watch blu ray on you tv.

Don't buy logitech speakers, if you want real sound then get a real sound system.

Why do you have wifi on a desktop?

And I don't see a case or a power supply listed.

You can take the base build I listed earlier and beef it up a bit. consult the Recommended parts guide 2.0 for ideas. I would make a list myself but I am about to leave for dinner.

well i was going to build a hp but once i got a glance inside the computer i can see that there will be little room for upgrades. like ram or graphics cards

i need help with building a computer. What Im looking for

I want to be able to play Half life 2, ep 1, ep 2, Cod 4,5, Fallout3, i want all of these games to run at least at 120 fps and i want it to be quiet because my dad will kill me if it is too loud.

And you have a 2k budget? Easy. I'll post a build list at lunch. Sorry its taking so long but every time I get a chance to check I have to leave. Just ran 3 miles for PT and did another 2 at the gym. I'm off to shower and then start the day.

I can tell you right now that your build wont be far off up smah's, except yours will have more bells and whistles.

Up smash, DDR3 is a requirement for Core i7, you can use DDR2. And with 1333mhz and up in trichannel you will be pushing high mem bandwidth and overall performance than DDR2 in dual channel. The timings seem looser, but the actual latency is the same, so when you run it at a higher clock you have a net increase in speed. I know it seems odd, but the same was true for DDR to DDR2.

And you have a 2k budget? Easy. I'll post a build list at lunch. Sorry its taking so long but every time I get a chance to check I have to leave. Just ran 3 miles for PT and did another 2 at the gym. I'm off to shower and then start the day.

I can tell you right now that your build wont be far off up smah's, except yours will have more bells and whistles.

Up smash, DDR3 is a requirement for Core i7, you can use DDR2. And with 1333mhz and up in trichannel you will be pushing high mem bandwidth and overall performance than DDR2 in dual channel. The timings seem looser, but the actual latency is the same, so when you run it at a higher clock you have a net increase in speed. I know it seems odd, but the same was true for DDR to DDR2.

Thank you :D
i was thinking of this case to start out with.
Amazon.com: Cooler Master HAF 932 High Air Flow ATX Full Tower Case Black - (RC-932-KKN1-GP): Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom