Gaming Pc $3000 limit! Plz Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am late to the party can't be bothered to read through it all so will just cut to the chase this is the best:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCPE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (same speed as a raptor in real world tests)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Case of your choice post up here first so we can say if its actually any good or just looks pretty

If your going tri-sli then get this motherboard and this power supply instead of the above. Don't bother with dual 26" its a silly layout just get either a 24" or a 30"

I have a question about the HHDs... Pinsher was having me get a SSD...what is the big difference between that and a normal HDD... I don't really mind the money...I just want something that is going to be really fast if I get into a lot more games... So you have me getting a 1TB drive and a 640GB drive where the other setup was a 128GB SSD and a 640GB data drive?

Salty atleast glance over what has already been done. I already had a really nice system set up for him and now you come in and post up a lot of the same parts. A tri-sli setup is kinda silly and out of budget for him. Also, you just picked that 285 for its price when the OP is not as much concerned about price as he is quality so an evga is a much better choice for him for 30 bucks more. Dont get me wrong i respect you a lot here, you give out a lot of great advice but i just think its kinda rude to come in here ignoring everything thats already been discussed and just saying your parts are the best end of story.

OP: SSDs are much faster than regular hard drives. A lot of people dont like them because you pay a premium for the speed but you have the money and you said you wanted speed so i thought it was a good choice for you.

Thanks for the update on that Pinscher. I guess tonight I can start piecing all the things together you had me buying and get a grand total of what I will be looking at for cost... Thanks again and if you have any other ideas for parts feel free to throw em my my.

SSD aren't fast in practical terms though as they have a low sustain transfer rate they are good for short transfers like windows boot however on par and sometimes slower then the WD caviar black. BFG was the first gpu company to make water dedicated cards and they have been in the industry for a while and are very trustworthy no point spending the extra money for the EVGA just because its EVGA. BFG is an equally reputable company.

SSD's are solid state disks they are not mechanical they are basically flash memory a normal hdd is mechanical and uses magnets to save the information. If you really want SSD then get 2 of these in raid0. I think your burning money though for not much gain.

Its not his money though and he said he wants to stretch the money he is getting as much as he can. What better way than an SSD? I wouldve suggested a nice speaker setup but he said he already has speakers. I know SSDs are good for loading windows but that also makes them good for loading games too. I told him to get a WD Black for everything else.

Guttzu, that 860w is way overkill. The 750w will run gtx285s in sli

Its not his money though and he said he wants to stretch the money he is getting as much as he can. What better way than an SSD? I wouldve suggested a nice speaker setup but he said he already has speakers. I know SSDs are good for loading windows but that also makes them good for loading games too. I told him to get a WD Black for everything else.

Guttzu, that 860w is way overkill. The 750w will run gtx285s in sli

Thanks for the help... I looked at the Silverstone cases and they seem really nice as well... What are your thoughts on this one Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ10-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases Also how does it compare to the Lian-Li cases? What would be a good Lian-Li case to go with? I think the Silverstone cases only come with 2 fans where the Lian-Li cases come with full fans included. Pinscher would you mind doing another build just so I can have everything all at once to price check it all through NewEgg...?

I know a lot of people like the TF09. I don't know too much about the TJ10 though. I personally think Lian-Li makes a little better cases but there is nothing wrong with silverstone. They make some nice cases too.

I will put up another another build as soon as I get home. I'm on break in class right now but I will be home in about 2 hours. I'll put up several great cases and you can pick whatever one you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom