Gaming Pc $3000 limit! Plz Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I want to say thank you all sooo much for replying so fast and with great advice. Thank you Pinsher for coming up with that rig.

As far as price goes, I told them that $3,000 is a lot for a computer but they only look at Dell and stuff like that which is wayyyyyy over priced! If I could get away with spending $2,500 that would be cool. The main point is I saved them 4.5 years of college tuition and fees by playing football so this is a "thank you" gift I think lol.

Question to Pinsher: You didn't give the link for the 640GB HDD... Also, why are Lian-Li cases so amazing? Finally, how hard would it actually be to build this computer? I have never done anything like this before but I will have my laptop there to ask a crap ton of questions If I run into any trouble. I plan on building this computer some time after graduation and most likely in June so will the parts still be up to date? I will stay up to date for sure on the forums and when I actually do build it I will take pictures. Thanks again to everyone helping and anymore advice is welcome.

Guttzu building a computer is almost a no brainer. As long as you use some common sense + follow instructions you should be ok. Just watch some videos on youtube to get a basic understanding but its really intuitive if you know the general layout of a computer

+1 to 750tx. PC&C is great from reviews I've read, but I just don't think 610 is enough. Yea it's more about amps, but the 750tx has 60 amps vs 49 with the PC&C. A gtx 285 is great now, but in 2 years instead of getting a whole new card, slap in a cheap 285 at that time and now you're back in the loop and have headroom with the psu that can support it. versus having to go with buying a brand new single gpu for 400 dollars, or ever having to buy another psu.

He's got the money, use it to get a little headroom.

First off I want to say thank you all sooo much for replying so fast and with great advice. Thank you Pinsher for coming up with that rig.

As far as price goes, I told them that $3,000 is a lot for a computer but they only look at Dell and stuff like that which is wayyyyyy over priced! If I could get away with spending $2,500 that would be cool. The main point is I saved them 4.5 years of college tuition and fees by playing football so this is a "thank you" gift I think lol.

Question to Pinsher: You didn't give the link for the 640GB HDD... Also, why are Lian-Li cases so amazing? Finally, how hard would it actually be to build this computer? I have never done anything like this before but I will have my laptop there to ask a crap ton of questions If I run into any trouble. I plan on building this computer some time after graduation and most likely in June so will the parts still be up to date? I will stay up to date for sure on the forums and when I actually do build it I will take pictures. Thanks again to everyone helping and anymore advice is welcome.

I'm telling you you'll be more than fine with a 2K build, don't use pre-built comp sites for comparision, they are RIP-OFFS, the only site I'd consider is ibuypower.com

and as for being outdated, when you decide to order just drop on by the forums again, post your build plans, everyone here will happily make any updates you'll need for you

and building a computer isn't hard at all, just read up on the articles and stickies here and google, by time June gets here you'll be anxious to get your hands on some hardware

good luck :cool:

Thanks for the advice xxfirexx and the rig you built. I will start studying youtube on the building procedures so when the time comes to actually build my rig I will have a good idea of what I am doing. I know the basics of where everything goes its just im OCD when it comes to building things lol and I don't want to mess anything up. It seems that the people on here are very supportive so when the time does come to build my rig I feel there will be more than enough help.

I know this sounds evil...but I really want to "milk" my build for all $2500-$3000 that I can. Feel free guys to keep suggesting things.

CPU is going to be the i7 920 for sure.
MB is either the Asus P6T or the EVGA X58
Video Card I think I'll just stick with one for now...EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB

other than that I am at a toss up for the rest of the stuff...I appreciate everyones' opinions but I like to buy high quality stuff and again I have $2,000 - $3,000 to spend...

Thanks for the support sir :D I am actually very excited about building my own computer and seeing exactly how everything goes together. I will for sure come back in June when it is time to actually order the stuff from Newegg and get an update on what all I should order.

Lol I think I'll just keep it to one monitor for now... What I will probably end up doing is putting all the pieces together on NewEgg then showing them a print off with the price. Knowing them they will just deposit the $2500 or so in my account. I already have a 5.1 surround system from Altec Lansing. What about a good gaming headset. Also I need to add in the price of a keyboard and mouse which will be the Razer DeathAdder and the Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard.

Also can people give me some help on the need for a sound card or network card? Also what about a Meter Display to show temps. and fan speeds and stuff? I also need to find a case that is spacious and has great cooling.

Sorry about the link. Here it is.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Lian-Li just has awesome build quality. They use aluminum (strong and light) instead of cheap plastic like a lot of cases. They have lots of features built into their cases that make things easier. They also have sound dampening foam to help keep your pc quiet. They have great airflow. HDD dampener pads. Lots of little things. Check their website to read more about them.

+1 to 750tx. PC&C is great from reviews I've read, but I just don't think 610 is enough. Yea it's more about amps, but the 750tx has 60 amps vs 49 with the PC&C. A gtx 285 is great now, but in 2 years instead of getting a whole new card, slap in a cheap 285 at that time and now you're back in the loop and have headroom with the psu that can support it. versus having to go with buying a brand new single gpu for 400 dollars, or ever having to buy another psu.

He's got the money, use it to get a little headroom.

610 is plenty for his rig. He can get a 750w though just in case he feels like it will be better. I suppose you might as well. But get PC Power & Cooling

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Thanks for the Help and the link. I guess the next big question (I'm a newb) would be how do you actually put 2 HDDs into RAID? Seeing as you recommend having the 120GB SSD for gaming and then the 640GB for normal data? Also...would buying a larger PSU be overkill? Like getting a 900 or bigger for later upgrades?

For the tower...I have to say the Lian-Li cases are ugly as **** but they are very well built from what I read. Would I need to buy a full tower case or would a mid-case be fine?

Just wanting to have a good idea of the system before June rolls around so I can get a list ready to buy... Could you cover sound card/network card/and Thermal Meter for the fans and temps... Anything and everything that would be needed for a full build...thanks again for all the amazing help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom