SATA vs IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kangaroo said:
ATA to SATA is not the same as upgrading from AGP x4 to x8, it is definitely not the same percentage increase. But if you have a very simple choice, then choose SATA; it is ~12MB quicker.

It is not worth upgrading a motherboard for though :)

Kangaroo is correct. SATA does not reach 150 Mb/s. The only benefit is smaller wires and a 12(+/-) Mb increase.

wont 2 sata drive in raid 0 run a whole LOT faster than any ide drive?

how would you compare having 2 sata drive in raid 0 to having just one scsi ultra 160 drive @ 10k rpm?

I f I had enough money I would go for 2x SCSI 320 in RAID0...its the best you can get but its very expensive, about $150 for 40GB drive

Well how do you feel about SCSI?

I tried one out (36gb, 15,000rpm) and it seemed decent.

SATA dont go above 7,200 i dont believe.

i got two maxtor 160 sata drives and put em in RAID0 and it worked good for awhile but then one crapped out and ... doesnt seem to work i dunno what happened it doesnt recognize at all. the little red cables are pretty sketchy and dont stay in real good if you got a huge mess of cables and an IDE cable pushin against it. but they are better than IDE cables as far as size.

http://www.sata-io.org/satatechnology.asp

this tells u about Serial ATA. the fastest Parallel ATA can only go 133Mbytes/sec. Serial ATA has already surpassed this with 150Mbytes/sec and sometime this year or early next year it will be up to 300Mbytes/sec. then in a few more years a whopping 600Mbytes/sec!!! but i guess this isnt a good reason to get this awesome piece of technology. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom