CD/DVD Drive not working. PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCabo0se

Beta member
Alright, so... My girlfriend was out of the country with her lap top, and while she was there, the CD/DVD drive stopped working. Being computer savvy, I opted to fix it.

I have met my Everest.

I have spent about 6 hours searching forums for possible solutions, and nothing has worked.

Laptop is an HP Pavillion DV6645us.

Warranty expired almost a year ago, so she can't send it back.

Here's what's happening:

I put a cd (or a dvd, neither work) into the drive, and the disc doesn't spin at all. The light goes steady for about 5 seconds, and during this, the drive makes a single sound, and then stops. The light shuts off, and then nothing. The computer doesn't recognize that there is a disc in the drive, and when I go into the device manager, it shows that the drive is "working properly."

How I've tried to fix it:

I've tried doing a system restore to a previous point. Didn't work.
I've tried going into the registry and deleting the "Upper and Lower" registries. They didn't exist.
I've tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the computer. Doesn't work.
I've tried updating the drivers, but they're apparently up to date.
I've tried resetting the bios options.
I've tried reading the drive from the command prompt.
I've tried re-seating the drive.
I've removed the drive blown out the inside.
I have also obviously tried multiple CD's/DVD's that DO work in another computer.

NOTHING WORKS!

I'm thinking that the drive is just broken... but then I think about how the light comes on, and that the computer shows that it doesn't have any problems with the drive.

If ANYBODY can offer a solution to this problem, I would be very appreciative.

Had same problem with brother in laws,s PC downloaded motherboard drivers that sorted the problem

Any other possibilities? I can't seem to find any motherboard drivers for this laptop. I hate manufactured computers :mad:

hp's website will have if for you. unfortunately it is down right now so I cannot locate it for you.

What os you running?

HP Support & Drivers

cannot get any further than that at the moment. when it is up again you should be able to use the search function to find the driver.

Motherboard for this laptop looks as if it is an NVIDA model, got to NVIDA webpage / drivers see if it will auto dect your M/board and advise the correct driver package, the driver that is most likley causing the problem is NV SMbus, hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom