is a warrenty worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
is it worth getting the extend warranties for computer parts from newegg? if it is worth it should i go for the 1 year or the 2 year?

its a debate me and my mom are having, because i am going to be building a computer soon, and she thinks its always a good idea to get warranties, but i told her if something where to fail it would probably fail within the 30 day warranty.

There's still a manufacturer warranty, that's at least 1 year....a lot of stuff is longer t han 1 year...

Most stuff like memory and video cards (such as XFX branded ones) will have a lifetime manufacturer warranty, most other parts will be 3 years+

Warranty laws must be different in Australia. Most manufacturers do not provide 3-year warranties for parts in the US. I believe all hard drive manufacturers have switched to 1-year warranties.

I would not buy extended warranties on computer parts. Actual defects show up pretty quickly. Extended warranty claims are time-consuming and tedious. You'd need to keep ALL receipts, documentation, and packaging for each part to have a chance at making a claim. Even then it could take weeks or months to get something replaced.

Warranty laws must be different in Australia. Most manufacturers do not provide 3-year warranties for parts in the US. I believe all hard drive manufacturers have switched to 1-year warranties....

Warranty laws??? Eh? Manufacturer warranties are very generous on most if not all hardware these days:

Video Cards: Find some with Life time warranties (eg. XFX having a double lifetime one.)
Memory: Life time warranties (eg .G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, OCZ)
CPU's: 3 years warranty
Power supplies: 3 years warranty (some have lifetime)
Hard drives: 3 years warranty. (WD has 5...)
Motherboards: 3 Years+

I wouldn't bother on any of it, like others have said, a lot of these parts are coming with 3-5 or even lifetime warranties anyways.

It's been a while since I purchased parts. I guess the warranty lengths must have changed. Keep in mind those are retail part warranties. If you buy cheaper OEM products, you don't get those warranties.

Depends what you're buying and what the warranty includes. Like if I could buy a processor, and get a warranty that for 5 years I could get a replacement for anything that goes wrong, including acts of god, I would do it. Sadly no company has done that. But most of the time extended warranties are no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom