troubleshooting my first built computer that wouldnt boot into vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callofbooty

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

So ive been having problems. thats an under statement! So I have stripped my computer down to the motheroard, CPU with cooler, 2 system fans, and one stick of memory. I then turn on the motherboard. All the fans run which is good. My mobo has an on-board led indicator. These 2 led lights indicate system power on diagnostics. Any how, led 1 is on, but led 2 is off. In the manual this indicates memory error. I tried my other stick of memory. And I tried it in different spots. Same result. Is it that the memory is bad? Or is it a bad mob? Am I troubleshooting my computer correctly?

MOBO: Biostar TP45 HP
CPU: E5200 pentium dual-core 2.5
Memory: OCZ DDR2 800

Try clearing the CMOS.

Also remove all RAM and try booting; it should give you beeps (or LED codes) meaning there is a memory problem (expected, because there is no RAM in the system). Basic way to test if the RAM slots are bad or not. Can try getting your hands on a total different set of RAM as well and trying that just on the off chance it'd work.

Thx for responding. I dont have my Radeon HD4850 hooked up to my mobo. My mobo doesnt have a dvi or vga hook up for my monitor. Should I hook up my GPU and do it again? When I did listen for the beeps I got this. Two quick beeps in a row.....pause....8 steady beeps.......pause....1 beep! And my mobo led diagnostic shows memory error. This is with my memory seated. And I did clear my cmos every time. With no memory seated I got no beeps. And my mobo led diagnostics showed vga error according to the manual. What do you suggest now? I have the maual. it says 8 beeps is a display memory error (system video adapter). What do you think?

So I installed my VGA card to get a bios screen on my monitor. First I tried starting it without any memory. I got no beeps and no bios screen, just an led indicator light that indicates vga error. Second, I put in a stick of memory, and repeated with 2 sticks of memory. After getting 1 beep, which the bios screen said cmos error, I loaded the default setup. Then reset the computer, got no beeps got a bios screen that says to load bootable media, and my mobo led diagnostic lights read normal. What do you think about the VGA error? What should I do next? Thanks for your help! I love learning this stuff!

So it's booting up now then?

Is this supposed to be a fresh install of Vista or was this a previous version of Vista? Hook all your extra peripherals back up and continue on and see if it still works.

yes its bootin up. its not a fresh install. its my HDD with vista 32 bit HP and all my games and stuff. OK, ill try hooking up just the HDD and see what happens!

LMAO. good call. Ok, I hooked up my HDD, set my bios to boot from my HDD only, it went to the hardware monitor screen where it shows fan speed and temps, and it just sits there. This is where I was before I stripped my computer down. Just a little tid-bit, first, my bios screen flashes by quicker than my usb keyboard turns on so I dont have even a chance of hitting delete to enter bios(it always did this), and second this is my third brand new HDD since November of 2008!! What do you think? Should I try to format and reinstall vista? Why so many HDD's?
My HDD's in the past this has happened. WOW freezes I get some error messages, I restart the computer and it doesnt recognise that my HDD is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom