My Laptop vs. Mass Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

new-to_this

Solid State Member
Hi im really bummed out right now. i got my hands on mass effect and was lookin forward to playin it and i loaded it into my laptop. My laptop is fairly new and mass effect is fairly old so i didnt think there would be a problem. but after the screen where you click play, it says mass effect has stopped working. i dont get it, i've tried fiddling ma settings, updating drivers and turning off windows defender, aswell as allowing it thorugh my bullgaurd.

here are my latop settings:
Dell Studio 17, running Vista
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo CPU T5800 @2.00GHz (2CPU's)
Memory:2046MB RAM (i laso have a 2GB memory stick speedboosting my system)
DirectX: version 10
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 3650
Sound card: not certain but fairly sure its, IDT high definintion audio CODEC

Not really sure why i can't play Mass Effect but i really want to, anyone know how i could fix the problem? any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Do you have the latest patch for the game? I know that would happen when I got to a certain part in a FEAR level on my laptop. It would just crash the game and say it stopped working. Got the updated patch, ran fine.

Yeah ive got that 1.01 patch but not that batarian thingy. lol i've reinstalled bout 5 times and it always th same.

ok this might be a really noob question but how th jesus do i do that lol? My system running vista, i didnt even know i could run xp in any way. Tbh i really dont get computers coz the market so open and so much stuff changes and gets updated, it would be great a help if someone could like explain slowly what to do.

And thanks for the suggestions so far, carnage i gave u sum rep :happy:

Right click the shortcut > Properties > Compatibility tab > check the box that says "Run in compatibility mode for" and then choose XP SP2 from the dropdown.

Might as well check the box at the bottom of that screen that says "Run as administrator" as well. Click OK and then try to run it.

You'll have to hit Continue and/or Allow on the security prompts to run it. Hopefully that works for you.

And thanks for the rep, appreciate it :).

I will try to install Mass Effect later sometime (I have a copy laying around from when I was still using XP..havent gotten around to installing it in Vista quite yet) and see if it works for me or not as well.

Hey carnage, thanks for your help so far, but do u know of any other way to run compatability mode. I right clicked the shortcut, selcted properties but the only tabs were, General, Shorcut, Security, and Details. I have looked as best I can and i couldn't see anything to with comatability :confused:

Is the shortcut on your desktop, or in your Games folder?

If its on your desktop, then do this:
Right click shortcut > open file location > right click the executable that is highlighted > properties > compatibility tab > check the box that says "Run in compatibility mode for" and then choose XP SP2 from the dropdown > check the "run as administrator" option > click Ok on all open dialog boxes. See if that works.

If its in your Games folder, then you'll have to manually navigate to the game's executable file.

Aha it worked, your some miracle worker lol. I cant thank you enough, i was about ready to spend money on video cards n stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom