Just finished building, getting no monitor output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I tried the GPU with no success.

I just checked my mobo's box, and all I have left over is a "Shadow Card" (no idea what that is, looks like a stick of RAM) and an IDE Cable (which shouldn't be needed, as I'm using SATA on my drive).

Yep, I tried the GPU with no success.

I just checked my mobo's box, and all I have left over is a "Shadow Card" (no idea what that is, looks like a stick of RAM) and an IDE Cable (which shouldn't be needed, as I'm using SATA on my drive).

What motherboard are you using?

What motherboard are you using?
I'm using a BIOSTAR 790GX AM2+.

So, update: I got a DVI to HDMI converter from my friend, booted up the PC, nothing on my screen (just black). I removed the video card entirely, still no luck. I've attempted to boot with one stick of RAM, no luck. At this point, I don't know how I can further simplify the system. I'm thinking something might have gone bad, but everything is new and lit up and whirring so I'd like to think it's something I've done wrong.

Edit: What should I expect to see once it works? My manual says to press F12 to access BIOS, and I am doing that (repeatedly), but maybe the black screen is somehow normal? I've never built a PC from scratch before...

I'm using a BIOSTAR 790GX AM2+.

So, update: I got a DVI to HDMI converter from my friend, booted up the PC, nothing on my screen (just black). I removed the video card entirely, still no luck. I've attempted to boot with one stick of RAM, no luck. At this point, I don't know how I can further simplify the system. I'm thinking something might have gone bad, but everything is new and lit up and whirring so I'd like to think it's something I've done wrong.

Edit: What should I expect to see once it works? My manual says to press F12 to access BIOS, and I am doing that (repeatedly), but maybe the black screen is somehow normal? I've never built a PC from scratch before...

Is there anyway you can hook up your television via VGA connection? I know on my t.v., I can't boot with HDMI, because the 'resolution is not supported.' Exacty which board do you have, as there are several different versions of the Biostar 790GX. Also, I don't know if this has been asked, but have you checked the motherboard (while booting), to see if the onboard LEDs are on, off or on/off at the same time?

When it boots up you should expect to see an image for approx 5 seconds saying something along the bottom like press F12 to enter bios or setup. Then when you try and enter the bios you will see it come up in textual form all the hardware you have in there listed. Then come up with a menu system which is the bios. My guess is you may have a faulty onboard gpu which really sucks especially as its your first build! Hope this experience won't put you off normally after your first time you will be able to put it all together and installing windows in under 30 minutes, its just sometimes you get a dead on arrival item which are very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom