Overclocking the Core i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, that's nice! Cheap, too! What do you think about this for an aftermarket gpu fan? It's the ARCTIC COOLING ACCEL X8800 Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler and retail on Newegg is $43. Reviews have posted temperature decreases by as much as 20c...!

35-186-026-04.jpg

35-186-026-02.jpg

35-186-026-06.jpg

If you were going with a water cooling loop, you could just add GPU blocks. Would end up being a lot better since it would be interfacing with your current setup.

If you were going with a water cooling loop, you could just add GPU blocks. Would end up being a lot better since it would be interfacing with your current setup.

Wouldn't that mean I'd need a larger reservoir and/or radiator?

Possibly, I really don't know a whole lot about WC in depth, that's aspire's forte. If you would look through his guide, you should get a better idea.

Hmmm, so many choices. :? I really don't know where to begin. I'd really like to go with liquid cooling but I worry about leakage and something shorting out. I guess I could always superglue the tubing to the blocks and reinforce it with a clamp, right? I know there's non-conductive liquid I could use but I've read where others have used anti-freeze and achieved even lower temps. I dunno though, it's a lot to think about because I want to go the right direction. At this point in time, I'm not sure I need liquid cooling because of the fact that I only play a few online games and don't really do anything intensive which generates a lot of heat.

I really wouldn't trust those temps. For one 80c is really high. The temps were really weird too...really inconsistent. Plus add in the fact that sometimes 1 core would be like 30c lower. Anyone else notice that? Unless i'm missing something I would say faulty temp sensors.

BTW you need to test all cores (with hyperthreading) at 100% load and see what your temps get up to...

he's only at 50% load, so some cores are stressed and the others are lightly stressed...but those temps will be higher if load is at 100%

I ask because I increased my BClk, whatever that is, from 133 to 177.

I just realised...177x20= 3540Mhz. So he must still have turbo mode on, which also accounts for the differing temps, and why it has done this well on a stock cooler. So, Ph3nom, your overclock is actually only 3.54Ghz, with turbo mode on - so the peak might be at 3.8Ghz.

Most people turn off turbo mode to make it a stable overclock, i had assumed you had done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom