trying to help my father with his pc, and I have ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
did u try pressing enter .......and pay a notice to it ..does the no changes ...........if yes ...then just go on pressing enter and it will end ......

then u try to reinstal ur windows with out formating ...it will get fixed up .....create a partation .....and make a back up and format ur pc...i think it want be stoped for a long time.....i use to face the prob before......until i dont format my pc ....

when i put the cd in it just sits there with the blue screen. nothing comes up and I cant seem to be able to get to any menus or options?
D

restart ur pc and run it from a bootable win 98 cd and make sure ur bios is setup 1st bootable device ....cd....

Dav536 said:
THanks thats what i thought. any suggs on getting to the files, since windows wont open??

Dave

you said you can get into safe mode, so you can backup your files.
with win 98 always be prepared to format and reinstall. other wise like said get win 2000.

I just was talking with my dad and he said to just clear it all off so he could start with a clean slate. What would be the best way of doing this??

Dave

u need a win98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. put it on a floppydisk and boot yer pc with this floppy. You have too set yer BIOS to boot from the floppy.

once you are booting from the floppy you need to select "boot with CD"

then a few minutes later u get this:

C:/

type "format c:" THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THIS PARTITION
assuming that c: is your windows partition

then, type "setup" and windows will install

I would reccomend using windows2000, its more stable etc
u need the win2000 bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com

hope this helps

Dav536 said:
I just was talking with my dad and he said to just clear it all off so he could start with a clean slate. What would be the best way of doing this??

Dave

you need a win 98 bootdisk,look in download section. busy right now, help later

wow, I would of said you dont have to format it. When ever you can't get into windows in normal mode but CAN get into windows safe mode, that is either a driver issue or a corrupted .dll loading in the startup menu. Either way, 1st thing I would of done is gone to safe mode, go into display properties, advanced, adapters, change, select one and choose standard PCI graphics adapter VGA and see if it boot up. Also, before doing that check DM to look for duplicates and/or splats. However, if he wants to format it thats upto him but I dont see the need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom