Umm AM3 version 940????

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesirecat1701

Running on empty.
I was scanning through my cart and just as I was about to make my order I realized that the x4 940 is still only am2+ :(

I was so antsy to order too, wtf?

Why would AMD be so slow as to still not have released the AM3 version of the 940 yet ?
( I know the Am3 version will actually be called a 955 or something like that)

It's beyond me, anyways I haven't been very lucky searching so does anyone know when AMD plans on releasing such a proc?

I don't really want to go with an AM2+ board for my "new" build and already start out with an almost obsolete DDR2 standard..

I'l google some more

EDIT: I've found it, the "945: but still an not exact date....

just "april 2009" :|

They haven't needed to release an AM3 version that quickly, since the AM2+ version is fine...since AM3 CPUs work with the higher end AM2+ boards.

the AM2+ version is great no doubt, and maybe the AM3 boards still aren't up to the task I think it's odd to keep people who want a complete upgrade in the dark...

Hopefully I can find an 720 cheap enough for the time be.

There's no problem with getting the x4 940, AM2+ or not...I mean, unless you REALLY want DDR3, which would be a waste of money.

If your looking to spend that much money just swap over to I7 camp atm amd isn't worth it with Am3 and ddr3.

agreed, if you really want DDR3 that badly then instead of getting all bent out of shape over it, just go i7, I'm fairly certain that the AM3 boards are only dual channel anyways so their memory bandwidth will be subpar for DDR3. Either go AM2+ and settle on DDR2 or get an i7. As it stands I don't consider an AMD DDR3 system a wise move.

well i'm not really concerned about the ddr3 so much as the mobo

which sounds silly but I'm a little picky about AMD's motherboards and this one struck a raw cord
Newegg.com - MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I think it's pretty lol

I can always find something else though

and I realize that I can just go i7 but if I did that amount of money I've have to spend to get what I truly "want" seems to much just to justify..

as it is I can go with my AMD plans for a little over $1000 with everything

My i7 build would run $1200 and that's still without a GFX card

I mean i7 is blazing fast but "will I really need the power?" is the question I ask myself

hmm

Word of the wise, don't buy based on looks. By all accounts the tp45 is an ugly motherboard, but it also hits high fsb speeds than motherboard that cost twice as much.

If DDR3 is not a must have then go AM2+. When the AM3 quads come out you can still use them and then you can upgrade your mobo when you have the cash.

If you're going to spend 1k on an AMD rig, just get an i7. It's worth the extra money. Besides, you don't even know how much the 945 is going to be when it comes out...

About ugly boards, my TA790GX 128M is ugly as sin. But it performs like a champ for under 100 bucks.

well keep in mind that's case and all the goodies
it's not as if there's anything wrong with going AMD

I originally banked on getting an i7 but i also want money to finish my 1k watt sub woofer build (about $350 more before it is done)

unless I decided to re-consider the Intel camp again i was just going to go with the x3 720 (it's AM3 :D) and I'd perfectly be fine with that until I deem it time for an upgrade,

the way I see it the I'd the i7 the would be the way to go if I intend on pushing a lot of top-end graphics power

undoubtedly an i7 will last a good long time before even needing to consider an upgrade...

but at this point and time I'm 17 and the money just isn't there yet

unless you've got some thoughtful input, I'd be glad to hear it, I'm at a tipping point on which side to fall on

haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom