pc upgrade for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal

In Runtime
hi! Im new here,and I need help because i dont know much in computers.I searched on google for a forum about pc hardware and I found this one :cool: Im a gamer and I was wondering what I would have to change in this computer to be able to play the next generation games smoothly,like half-life2,doom3,and the battlefield series.Im a newbie in pc hardware...my friend got me this pc 3 years ago,but more the time advance,more the games are demanding.

my pc:
P4 1,6ghz intel
motherboard:asus p4b(go up to 2.00Ghz processor,cant support DDR)
Ati radeon 9600 128mb
512 mb ram pc133
two 40gig hard-drives Quantum 7200
WinXP pro

Yesterday I ordered this:

intel p4 3.0ghz [800] 1mb
asus mobo p4p800-se[s478]
kingston 512Mb ddr[400]Dual

But i dont know if it was REALLY necessary.Would the new hardware improve gaming experience,even if I keep the vidcard?

thanks,

It wasnt a totally necessary purchase as ur system would run doom3, hl2 but with settings turned down, but as u say games get more and more demanding all the time so i would say u have made a sound choice ordering what u have.

You will get a nice boost even if u keep the radeon 9600 but more importantly u will have a nice system ready for whenever u decide to get a new vid card too.

Also, and just as good, you'll appreciate how fast ur new hardware is when u use ur pc for anything other than gaming too!

Enjoy!

cool thats what i was wondering..if id get a boost or no.And for doom,ive tried and its a little laggy even at low settings,but that game is made to be played at high settings,so better get new hardware!

thanks,

Get a 6800GT. It is the absolute best value graphics card available today. It will cut through Doom3 and HL2 maxed out with AA and AF, and you won't see a bit of lag.

6800 series..its a plot against me right!!?to ruin me??:money: :freak: :money:

just checked the prices......Ill have to wait for a vidcard of this range of prices to drop a little,because otherwise i go bankrupt lol..credit cards already loaded before i get the new hardware...Im expecting my Radeon to make the job for the next months!:laughing:

the 9600 is descent, they are right that the 6800 GT owns the 9600 though
if you want to get a new video card but don't want to pay a lot, the 6600 GT will be coming out soon, so you may want that

here is what video cards currently stand at
the 9800 Pro is better than the 9600 XT which is better than the 9600 Pro
the X800 Pro owns the 9800 Pro
the 6800 GT owns the X800 Pro
the 6600 GT is expected to be better than the X800 Pro

so we have this:
the 6800 GT is better than the 6600 GT, which is expected to be better than the X800 Pro, which owns the 9800, which is better than the 9600 XT which is better than the 9600 Pro

if I were you, I would have gone with an Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ with an Asus K8V Deluxe, but the P4 3.0 should do well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom