Take apart USB hard drive/use it as main hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
well i got my new build from new egg, but they shipped my hdd differently, and due to the long weekend, i wont get it for a week...

instead of buying a new sata drive locally, im thinking i have a 750 gig lacie usb hard drive. Is there any way i can use it as a temp disk to install windows on? ALSO, has anyone ever taken one apart and used it as an internal drive? Isnt it just a sata disk with a board on it to give usb connectivity?

Thanks!

i love this forum, because right after i ask a question i just run off and figure out a solution before i check to see anyones replies :p

I took the thing apart and it is infact sata2, and im trying to install vista64 now.
Ill post back with results.

its a samsung. The windows install is being VERY slow tho... im not sure whats causing it. Its progressing, but the loads between prompts are a few minutes. Would this be the hard drive maybe? its 7200 RPM, 3gbs sata2. Bought it this year.

yeah, it all worked fine. Dont know what vista's problem was when i was installing, but its all good now =D

normally the drives they put into external harddrives are a lot slower then there standard internal models as its a usb bandwidth it doesn't matter that its a slower drive. If its going to be your main OS drive then I wouldn't reccomend you use it permanently as it will be generally slower then the one you have ordered. As a temporary fix though its ideal and you can use drive imaging software to transfer your install onto the new drive once it comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom