Games crash / freeze after 5-10 min gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamba

Solid State Member
Ok guys first let me say a big SORRY for any typing mistakes.
My problem is that I've just bought a brand new pc, but I assembled it myself with the help of a friend. The PC comfig is this:

CPU ATHLON X2 7750 BLACK EDN/BOX
HD 640GB SEAGATE SATA2/7200/32MB
RAM KIT 2X2GB DDR2 1066+ A-DATA
MB GB MA790X-UD4/AMD 790X/AM2+
VIDEO XFX 9800GT "XXX" edition
CASE ASUS TA-8H3 /NOPSU
PSU FORTRON FSP400-60GLN /400W
OS Vista ultimate SP1

The case is rather small for this video card and I worie if I have a heat problem. The XFX card is very hot by defult but I am not sure that it is the cause of the problem.

When the game crashes it's giving me some the msg close program or check online blablabla OR it freezes with a repeating sond until I press the reaboot button?

Please help. I will try to add aditional cooling to the chipset (AMD 790X) but I'm not sure it will help.

Btw I've tested the system with an old GF 6200 and it seems to freeze only in games with heigh preformance requirements.

get real temp and tell us what temps you are getting on your gpu and cpu.
Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

I have messured the temps with another program - speed fan,
with no load GPU runs like 46 C and get's up to 50, when I load a game it goes up to 70-75 C max before it crashes or freezes. CPU is below 50 no isssue there. My friend had a simular problem with a XFX 9600 GT Alpha dog adition, he installed liquid cooling and good a Big CASE but I cannot aford more than some extra fans and radiators.

it sounds like an over heating problem to me for sure, can you boost the fan speed with nvcpl?

Thanks a lot guys!
I did some more testing last night with the GF 6200, same problem but after playing way, way more time. I think it's the air flow and I gues it's the chipset overheating. I'll get a new heatsink and fan combo for it.
My consern is that the 9800 runs way more hoter than the 6200 so maybe some side fans on the sade of the case to.
I'll post when I install aditianal cooling and sere if all is great and I'm gameing like **** :-D

well considering that the 9800 generates more heat, and there being no more airflow to dissipate the heat...it wouldn't be far off to say that it's airflow for sure.....also if you can clean up the case from dust and try and get some wire management in there to help airflow as well

Well hello again. I am starting to get woried, I read a ton of posts about simular problems on vista forums and other. When I used riva tuner to juice up the speed of my XFX video card the crashes/frezzes continued even when the temp is normal (50/60 C).
When the cooling is up I get smth like this "dispay driver has stop working" or smth like that, I can't remember exactly but when I googled the exact match I found a huge amount of ppl with the same problem. Most of them say that it was due to some drivers for Nvidia ForceWere but some (the once I think are correct) sayed that it's a hardwere issue, mostly bad ram or PCU.
I guess I'll try with once stick of 2g ram then switch to the other and maybe get difrent ram from a friend and experiment more...ant thoughts?

BTW. Yesturday I've installed C&C3 and played for like 1 hour - no crash, after first crash of any game its almost imposible to get more than 10-15 mins without crashing. Basicly when I've just turned my pc ON I can play for a while but when it gets running it starts to crash very fast on load. That's why I still hope it's a heat problem - not hardwere.

OK I have had it! I'm taking it to the profesianals today for diagnostics. I'll let you guys know what the problem was so you know.

About the pic, I'll get a snapshot to show you but wires are all manneged prutty good - I had a pro friend assamble my pc and he did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom