best processor/RAM for Asus P5LP-LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about how not all 775 socket processors work with all 775 socket boards. Or is this just certain brands, like HP and Sony (my friend had a sony, and ordered a processor that didn't fit, even though it was 775)?

Okay, so that being said, maybe I will make a new setup with a motherboard with more capability.

I got to looking around more and wanted to see what you guys think of this budget system using the processor that I currently have in the HP: Pentium D 930

DFI 662-TMG/G LGA 775 SiS 662 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

APEVIA X-QPACK2-GD/500 Black/ Green Aluminum Body/ Front Mask MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

Thermaltake SpinQ Performance Series cooler with ultra-lightweight aluminum and six heatpipes CL-P0466 CPU Cooler - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100249L Radeon HD 3850 1GB 256-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

or

VisionTek 900238 Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready All-in-Wonder HD Graphics and Video Card - Retail

for the video card, I might just get a separate tv tuner card if the 1 GB 256-bit is going to be best to get

do you think this would be a decent gaming system? I would like to learn more about overclocking the processor which is why I chose the aftermarket cpu cooler. I totaled everything out at $338 before shipping, so I guess a good budget would be $300-350 for everything. I know, kind of low, but makes it a challenge right. Thanks for all of your help.

also, it looks like I might be able to shave $100 from the $338 using current case and power supply, so maybe I could build it for around $238 if I was able to use a:

Thermaltake USA Inc
TR2 430 Watt ATX Power Supply

and the case that I have

hopefully it's enough power for everything

To be honest... no. Cheaper does not mean better, just cheaper. I am assuming that you want a small case by the QPACK you listed. That case is OK, but the power supply sucks. The motherboard rates pretty low (SiS chipsets are bottom of the barrel).

I put this list together...

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Transcend 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 541 RC-541-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

With case, it is $349, $299 without. Free shipping on the PSU and GFX card, as well as a couple of $10 MIRs.

That's a much better mobo, A very good power supply (the GFX card requires 450W), a 512MB 3850 (the gig won't make a difference unless you are using huge resolutions), a low height CPU heatsink, and a micro-ATX mini-tower.

You can reuse the optical drive(s), hard drive, modem, even the case if you want to save money (it will hold the 3850 and ATX PSU.

one thing I noticed on the 4670 is that it's 128-bit instead of 256-bit, will this make a difference? I am only putting it to a 720p HDTV currently, but in future will connect it to a 1080P 120 Hz

also, does SpinQ have much better capability than the Zalman?

Will Zalman do just as good while saving cash? Will this Zalman be a good one for overclocking the 930?

Also, in considering power supply, I might go with this instead due to the modular capability:

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail

hopefully that would be a good power supply also, let me know what you think.

Would the XMS2 RAM be the best?

the 2x2GB kit is only $20

128-bit instead of 256-bit
It could make some, but not much. The 128-bit it the maximum through-put, as opposed to a top of 256-bit. It will still work fine.

does SpinQ have much better capability than the Zalman?

Will Zalman do just as good while saving cash? Will this Zalman be a good one for overclocking the 930?
The SpinQ is aluminum and has a 80mm fan, whereas the Zalman is made of copper and has a 120mm fan. The SpinQ is much taller than the Zalman and may not fit in a smaller case.

With that said, the Zalman should perform close to what the SpinQ can do, if not equal. The Zalman will also blow on other components and such.

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
OCZ makes good power supplies, so that swap would be a good one.

Would the XMS2 RAM be the best?

the 2x2GB kit is only $20
I can't find any for $20, even 2x1GB sets. Transcend is good RAM, and is the max speed for the mobo. It's not as "flashy", though. Some of the XMS2 have been known to be bad.

Trotter, great insight on the build quality of the 2 cpu coolers, I'm definitely going with the Zalman

here is a link to the $20 XMS2 RAM: (after mail-in rebates, $45 initial price)

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

going back to the video card thing, it sounds like the model number (HD 4670, HD 3850) is almost more important than the performance numbers when choosing video cards, is that accurate? what is it that these numbers represent? For instance, why would a HD 4670 be better than a HD 3850 if it's numbers (in this case just the 128-bit to 256-bit difference) are not as high? Just trying to understand what these model numbers actually mean, if anything.

Another thing that just came to mind is, is it better to use NVIDIA cards with intel processors and ATI cards with AMD processors? would it be better to pick out a Geforce card instead of a Radeon card since I'm using an Intel processor, or does this not matter at all?

This is great, I have everything narrowed down to just a few more decisions, I really appreciate all of the help, especially from trotter and hikaricloud, your insight in invaluable and you were able to help me understand what I'm getting and why it's better than something else, I'm really excited to get more use out of that processor and be able to use it more to what it's capable of. I guess now it's a matter of learning how to safely overclock it!

going back to the video card thing, it sounds like the model number (HD 4670, HD 3850) is almost more important than the performance numbers when choosing video cards, is that accurate? what is it that these numbers represent? For instance, why would a HD 4670 be better than a HD 3850 if it's numbers (in this case just the 128-bit to 256-bit difference) are not as high? Just trying to understand what these model numbers actually mean, if anything.
In ATIs case, higher is almost always better. nVidia is a little more confusing.
This thread should help you out: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

Another thing that just came to mind is, is it better to use NVIDIA cards with intel processors and ATI cards with AMD processors? would it be better to pick out a Geforce card instead of a Radeon card since I'm using an Intel processor, or does this not matter at all?
Not at all. However some video games are designed to run better with either nVidia, or ATI. I generally see more games that support nVidia, but honestly, you aren't going to notice a difference between the two cards, even in their supported games.

Good luck with the build. :)

Okay, so I think I've thought of a better purpose for this machine, what I'm thinking is Carputer, which brings up all kinds of new questions. First of all I'm going to list what I think might be the best setup and reasons for why I think this (my reasons being the most important part because I want to make sure that I don't have some misconception on the capabilities of some component). Ultimately, I want to be able to take this case out of the car and then use it in the house as my home CPU and be able to game in HD on a home monitor.

Initial setup, what I'm starting with due to my limited budget. In starting out the main purpose will be carputer, so I won't be upgrading much but the case and the PSU:

250W automotive PSU: (seemed to be the best value)

M4-ATX, intelligent ATX automotive power supply, 6/30V - power your PC in a car.

+ enclosure: (will work great for mounting in a case)

M4-ATX SFX/ATX enclosure

+ case: (I think the shape and handle are the reason I chose this, it seems very convenient to have in the trunk and then just grab it out by the handle and bring into the house for a home CPU also)

Newegg.com - Thermaltake VF1000BWS Black Aluminum Front Panel/ SECC Chassis MicroATX Desktop Computer Case - Computer Cases

+ water cooling system: (I'm pretty sure this will be essential due to the hot summers and the lack of cold air access to the trunk)

Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-W0075 Liquid Cooling System - Water Cooling

+ AquaBay M3 fluid tank: (it will be nice to be able to hold extra cooling fluid)

+ monitor: (my favorite because of value and I like the connections at the back of the monitor, instead of having wires coming out the back of the monitor, cleaner because you aren't hiding any unnecessary wires)

new 8 inch Desktop TFT LCD Monitor w Touch Screen + VGA

For the initial setup I won't upgrade MOBO or anything else because what I have will be suitable for the carputer. So, the first part is pretty straight forward, I guess when I upgrade this aforementioned system to be a carputer and a home computer is where the questions will start. Which I'll get into after I post this.

So as the title mentions, this is where I'm a bit confused on some of the concepts for the system I want in it's finished state. The questions are mainly based on the possibility of using two different power supplies (one for in home use that I just plug in and that will be suitable for the video card I use for at home gaming and the other suitable to power the carputer using the onboard video at 720p). Nevermind about crossfire or SLI as I don't believe I'll need to take advantage of that tech for this build.

These are the components that I am considering:

MOBO: (the one Trotter helped me pick out, I want this for the onboard video, value, and PCIe 2.0 slot)

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: (sounds like G skill is the way to go)

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card: (4870 for $170 is best value and I like that it has an HDMI connector instead of the adapter, looks like a good copper heatsink on it also)

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

hoping to use current PSU, which is a Thermaltake 430w:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

So for the PSU's, my first question is: will the listed PSU work with the vid card I want to use when using it for the home system and can I use 2 PSU's (one for car use and one for home use)? I was thinking about just using y cables to connect to each component, connecting one end to the home PSU and the other to the car PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom