7800GTX sli power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not an amazing gain from a 7800GTX in SLI. If your getting 30fps my guess would be like mid 40's with SLI. Depends what games though...

i have one of these pointing straight out the back with another 120mm fan right behind it pulling the air out. Ive also got a 120mm in the top pulling air off it.
zalman_CNPS9700_NT.jpg

the raptors are right at the bottom of the case with another 120mm blowing over them. I haven't ran a stress test in ages, i did some when i overclocked but that was about a year ago now. Ill run one when i get in from work tonight.

are certain games not compatible with SLI at all or will i see an increase in everything?

First snag. My power supply only has 1 PCI-e power plug and i dont have enough spare molex to run a converter. So should i risk my parts and wire a second plug onto my single pci-e plug, or should i use a couple of splitters to give me enough molex plugs to use the converter or should i just bite the bullet and buy another psu, maybes something like the antec truepower trio 650watt?

It draws 100W at max load so say 125W to be on the safe side therefore you need a minimum wattage of 200W for just the cards then add on 70W for the cpu as its overclocked and an extra 50W for other system components your looking at 320W. Take in to account efficiency normally being 80% so you need 320/8 = 40x10 = 400W psu is needed with a comfortable amount of upgrade room should you need to add some extra parts. You current psu will be fine.

You want to use the minimum amount of splitters if possible so I would bite the bullet what is your budget?

ive bought a 700watt ocz power supply and put that in and its running like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom