best processor/RAM for Asus P5LP-LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

upgradequestions

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my CPU, the model is: HP Pavilion m7480n

The processor I want to use is this:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail from newegg.com

The RAM I want to use is:

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail from newegg.com, I want to use 2 sets for a total of 8 GB of RAM

I want to upgrade to 64-bit Vista, but want to ensure that the above components will work and I also have some additional questions:

-The info page for the motherboard shows that it's a 775 socket and gives some recommendations on which processors to use. I'm hoping that what HP shows is just outdated and a quad core processor will work. Any insight on why they would limit the processor for a motherboard with a 775 socket would be helpful. For instance, why is there limitations on what processor to use even though it's a 775 socket? Shouldn't any processor that is compatible with a 775 socket work with a 775 socket?

-Lastly, the video card that I want is for a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. The slot for this motherboard is only a PCI Express x16, not 2.0. Will the 2.0 work in a slot that isn't specified 2.0?

Thanks in advance for any advice, help and insight you have for me.

No point to buying the Q6600, the new ones are garbage. They were great chips a while back, now they are dated. I would get an E8400. If it supports it.

Also, why are you getting DDR3 RAM? You need DDR2, and it will only support up to DDR2 667. And there's no need to get 8gb, it's a waste.

You're better buying parts and building a whole new machine from scratch, that machine is garbage.

Also, PCI-e x16 2.0 is backwards compatible with x16.

Thanks for the info, hikaricloud

For the RAM, what is the limiting factor, the motherboard? Also, I understand the RAM limitations for XP, but I want to upgrade to 64 bit Vista, which I understand will utilize the 8 GB, so that being said, would 8 GB still be a waste? I don't really need it to be a gaming machine, just to do DVR stuff for MCE and possibly some security cams. So, that might not even use the 8 GB anyway. If that's the case, I'll just stick with 32 bit Vista and add 2 GB to the existing system.

Why the dual-core over the quad core?

for the video card issue, one thing I forgot to ask about:

is the Directx version a determining factor when buying a video card. If you get one that sais Directx 10 but only have XP and are limited to DirectX 9 will it be compatible?

I picked out the dual core over the quad because the quad won't help you in gaming. The E8400 is a much better overclocker, and is cheaper, last time I checked. Not that you can overclock with the HP bios, though...

The limiting factor on RAM is the motherboard. And not only would 8gb be a waste, regardless of the OS, but the motherboard will only support up to 4gb anyway.

As for the video card issue, when a card says what DirectX version it will support, that's up to that version.

I'm telling you, if you want to put this much work into this HP, you might as well build a new machine. You can still use a couple things, like the HDD and the optical drive, but trust me on this, anything you put into this machine is going to be crippled. We can put together a nice machine for you if you give us a budget.

A e8400 might not be compatible with your motherboard even though it is lga775. OEM's tend to use older chipsets which don't support 45nm cpu's.

The 945P does not support quad core CPUs. It supports C2Ds, but nothing above them (according to Intel).

Your motherboard will only handle a max of 4GB.

Hik's suggestion of putting together a nice build is a good one, as you can reuse a lot of your current computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom