Painting a case? and a fan question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jfenwick thats a really good idea using poly to make your own makeshift paint booth.

That's an old makeshift booth I did up real quick with some left over poly. Once I had some time I used some 2x2's to make a general frame for it that can be easily disassembled (1.5 car garage is subdivision) and covered that with poly. This way when winter hits I can pull it apart and hang it in the rafters so my wife can park the car in the garage. Installed an explosion proof light and a couple of those square fans with furnace filters....isn't the greatest setup but is enough to do a case at a time. For a while I was planning on using some insulation to try and turn it into an all season booth by adding an electric heater (what explosion hazard?) but just never had the time.

I like the military look as well, I'm relatively new to painting myself, have only been doing it for a few years and have never done anything military themed. Your best bet would be to get some cheap spray paints at walmart or something, get some scrap materials and practice a couple of techniques to make sure you get the look you are going for. Would suck to screw up the HAF.

Wet sanding isn't necessary, I've only ever done it POST painting as part of either the buffing process to get an ultra gloss look or to take out a run or imperfection. And even 800 grit is pretty fine for a prep job, I'd go much lower, medium grit will work fine.

That's an old makeshift booth I did up real quick with some left over poly. Once I had some time I used some 2x2's to make a general frame for it that can be easily disassembled (1.5 car garage is subdivision) and covered that with poly. This way when winter hits I can pull it apart and hang it in the rafters so my wife can park the car in the garage. Installed an explosion proof light and a couple of those square fans with furnace filters....isn't the greatest setup but is enough to do a case at a time. For a while I was planning on using some insulation to try and turn it into an all season booth by adding an electric heater (what explosion hazard?) but just never had the time.

I like the military look as well, I'm relatively new to painting myself, have only been doing it for a few years and have never done anything military themed. Your best bet would be to get some cheap spray paints at walmart or something, get some scrap materials and practice a couple of techniques to make sure you get the look you are going for. Would suck to screw up the HAF.

Wet sanding isn't necessary, I've only ever done it POST painting as part of either the buffing process to get an ultra gloss look or to take out a run or imperfection. And even 800 grit is pretty fine for a prep job, I'd go much lower, medium grit will work fine.

EXCELLENT IDEA on the cheap paint thing... I was trying to figure out how to do this.. but didnt want to waste paint.. thank you for that

Lol, no worries, hope it works out well for you.

DISCLAIMER: If you blow yourself up you didn't get any ideas from me! lol, if you're just using rattle cans then no worries, if you start using a gun with flammable paints then you need to remember that if accumulation occurs a spark or other ignition source (light) could blow you and your new booth to pieces and possibly burn the place down. Also, the automotive 2 part paints for the guns have hardeners in them with isocyanates that are chemical sensitizers, make sure you get the appropriate protective respirator if you decide to go that route. Good luck and have fun!

I bought a couple spray cans and we are going to see how it works on some cardboard... I was intending on just using the cans of bumper spray paint to paint the exterior... I wasn't looking on spending the money to do it "right" - wonder if it's not worth it if it will look bad... I think I might just stick with painting it black inside... less risk of ruining my new case.. and since I just spent like ~$300 on a watercooling setup... it will be cheaper too lol...

Lol, yeah..i'm the opposite, my money goes into spray paint and mod tools rather than the water cooling.

That's actually what that paint in my photo is, Dupont flat black which is recommended for bumper spray. Has some give in it so that the slight twist and pressures wont' crack the paint job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom