HDMI cable versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anticitizen

Beta member
Hello,

So i have a a Gateway P-6860 FX notebook and i want to hook it up to my Sony LCD TV (720p). Obviously you can hook it up using VGA cable, but it has HDMI ports so i thought i would hook it up using that. So i got a cable (HDMI v 1.3b) and my computer's port is version 1.2? Does the different versions of the ports make a difference? Because i hooked it up using the HDMI cable and it looks like crap while VGA looks better? Can someone please explain?

What your seeing is a difference in dedicated video ports on your television. Televisions resolution vary a lot by what they are capable of and what you plug into them.

For instance, blu-ray dvd player is capable of 1080x(i/p), but your television is only capable of 720p. If you try and 'up convert' the television compensates for the lack of detail by adding more lines to the picture per refresh rate.

So, in your case, you could be seeing a lower resolution on a high definition screen.

So what's the difference in the cables? Well, there are several versions of the same cable, like you said, 1.0, 1.2 or 1.3a. In your case you have a dual link cable on a 1.2 port. 1.3a/b is 340 MHz which allows for a higher resolution (2560x1600).

Check your television for the resolutions it's capable of and the graphics card settings, you have an 8800 in your laptop? So if the nvidia settings aren't selected to see resolutions only a television can, you may run into some problems. Also, keep in mind that not all of the televisions are going to be the best monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom