Won't boot, "disc read error"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can just get a copy of Gparted. It is a LiveCD that you can use to create, delete or format a partition or drive.

And what will that tell me? Whether the drive is actually dead, or if it's a different hardware related problem?

Otherwise I'm just going to send this drive back for a replacement and hope the next one works for longer than 48 hours.

EDIT: OK so here's a bit of an update. I got the WD diagnostics program to boot up in DOS. It wouldn't work the first time, but I tried a different CD and ran the tests. The tests said there were no errors on the drive, so I did a quick write zeros operation on it, and now the Vista install disc is reading the drive fine? I'm really confused here. Is there a problem with the motherboard or Windows that is causing the drives to not be read, after the computer goes in to sleep mode? That's when both hard drives "failed," when trying to boot back up from sleep mode. Vista is installing now, so I'm going to disable sleep mode in both the BIOS and Vista and hope I get no other problems.

Any input on this???? Should I be concerned that maybe I have a faulty motherboard?

OK so it's been 4 days now and I haven't had any problems with the hard drive or computer in general. Apparently sleep mode was the culprit?? I dono, that's weird, and I'm not sure why it would do that. It leads me to believe the other hard drive wasn't dead after all?? I'm afraid to do anything other than shut my computer off now though. I turned off sleep mode and if I have to go anywhere I just shut it down.

Instead of starting a new topic, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a tool to control the fan on my HD 4850 X2. ATI Tool wouldn't work, and I can't go below 20% speed in the Catalyst Center. That's useless because it idles at 12%. I want to be able to scale it back to 5% or so and see if it runs cool enough. It's just so frickin loud right now.

My 4850 isn't very loud, and my computer is the only thing running in my bedroom. I think you can use SpeedFan to control them, not sure on that.

I can live with it if that's the only solution. SpeedFan never seems to work well for me, so I was hoping there was a different program that would let me change fan speeds.

There may be an update for your BIOS that addresses an issue with the Sleep mode. Have you checked for any BIOS upgrades? If not, I strongly suggest you look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom